• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

lol Naw LiL Wayne is the best rapper alive only in my opinion, Im just saying that he also calls himself that for a nickname.

#52 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

The Official Un-Official Code-X Legend

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

I try not to hate on peoples opinions, even though I've done it before and will continue to do it but its a habit, but I obisouly disagree and theres not much I can do other than show you some other people.

#53 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

theres not much I can do other than show you some other people.

So you're saying.........?

#54 Mizery Made

Mizery Made

./\/\izery /\/\ade.

• Code-X Member
  • 2,052 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

View PostD_Money, on Feb 12 2008, 12:24 PM, said:

I think Im the only person on Code-X that likes LiL Waynes. lol
While I don't consider myself anywhere near a 'hardcore fan,' I do casually listen to Lil' Wayne from time to time. I even own three of his albums. However, I would have to agree with the others stance and say that "Lil' Wayne" & "Best Rapper Alive" should never be used in the same sentence.

#55 *RatedRKO

*RatedRKO

Tommy is the bomb

• Banned
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hey, in the end they make more money then you lol

and nah i like lil wayne

Edited by -KanE-, 12 February 2008 - 07:10 PM.

#56 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

View PostD_Money, on Feb 12 2008, 06:20 PM, said:

Basically I could help expand your taste in hip-hop.

View Post-KanE-, on Feb 12 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

Hey, in the end they make more money then you lol

To roughly quote GZA, "just because you have money don't mean your talented".

#57 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

View Post-KanE-, on Feb 12 2008, 08:10 PM, said:

and nah i like lil wayne

Its about damn time I heard somebody else say that.

View PostDevil, on Feb 12 2008, 08:47 PM, said:

View PostD_Money, on Feb 12 2008, 06:20 PM, said:

Basically I could help expand your taste in hip-hop.

Ok, how are you gonna do that?

#58 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:45 PM

By telling you the names of rappers that I think you might enjoy.

For example, I think you'd really Enjoy Crooked I and you better enjoy Chino XL :P.

#59 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Administrator
  • Gallery:View
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

I don't think Weezy is too terrible actually, I just hate the fact that people obsess over him when he's an "ok" rapper at best. His best music is something I can listen to occasionally.

And I'll help explain what Devil is saying. At first when I got into hip hop, I was just like you. I listened to a lot of mainstream stuff I saw on BET, including Weezy, Jeezy, Joc, 50 Cent/G-Unit, TI, Dipset... I thought that was all great stuff, it's all I knew about and everybody talked about it so to me it was great music. But later I began to look into some artists I didn't know so much about, but heard about on forums or media of some sort. I started listening to some Big Pun and Nas albums of the past, and soon realized what I was missing out on. So basically you can say Lil Wayne is the best rapper alive, and that is a completely true statement in your mind right now, but until you learn about some of these other artists, that's all it is, an opinion. And an ignorant one at that. Listen to some of Fate's recommended albums, you will start to expand your taste for hip hop and become more aware of what is out there, so you can then tell quality music from junk music. Hope that helps.

#60 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Legend

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

You can't just do that though Devil, people gotta find what they like on there own.

You can give a Lil Wayne fan (and I mean no disrespect here dmoney, trust me) some Rakim and say "Here, this is real hip-hop". He's gotta find it himself and if he likes it he'll like it.

When I was listening to all the stuff I listened to in 2002, if you gave me Illmatic, I'd give it back to you and say it wasn't that good. But 2 1/2 years after I listened to it and loved it. It's two different realms of music, while in the same genre, you cannot bridge the gap without taking baby steps toward another. I started attaining a love for Boom Bap from Nas' NEW albums that are hardly boom bap, but the drum and bass are prominent. Once I liked that, next I liked some older Redman, then I jumped right into Keith Murray, KRS, and all of them.

But Dmoney, I do not have ANY problem with you liking Wayne, but I do recommend you open your horizons and try and find some more hip-hop, because you may think Wayne is unique but if you really looked around you would find a whole lot of styles that we're real fresh, and some lyrical ability like hardly any others. I'm not going to tell you "Go listen to Rakim" though, I'm just going to say you should start digging through some more artists. A good way of this might even be finding out who inspired Wayne, and then listen to THOSE artists. You know what I mean? Everyone's got there range of taste though, when I started listening it was all Tupac and whatever, but after really looking, my favorite stuff was from NY in 89-95. I never would have liked half the stuff I like right now, back then. But I eased into different styles, and I fell in love with a whole lot of albums.

Who I personally consider the greatest, out of the hundreds to (maybe) thousands I've heard is Rakim. But had I not listened to him at the perfect time, and when I decided on my own "it's time to hear this guy", his discography would not have had nearly as big of an effect. So it's also a bit of, you don't want to spoil a true memory of "The first time I heard this" because someone tells you "This is better". Had someone forced Rakim on me too soon, I wouldn't have bothered with him, and never gotten to feel moved by his genius.

#61 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

I know what your talking about. When I first heard Rakim I didn't think he was that good, now I love his shit. But what I was trying to do was somewhat similar to how I got into different music. I would listen to dudes who made music that was similar to what I already listened to, but was yet different. Like Royce, first real underground dude I listened to, I started to like him because he made music that was similar to what I was listening too. So I suggested Crooked I, because he does have that "Street/gangsta" essence to him, yet he is a beast on the mic. You understand what I'm saying? Because I sort of described that poorly.

#62 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:13 PM

I think the most logical move from Lil Wayne to another act, would be Outkast, though.

Not Idlewild, not Speakerboxxx/Love Below; but the real Outkast; Southerplayalistic, ATLiens, Aquemeni, and Stankonia.

#63 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

Damn that was a lot of reading lol, but all 3 of yall made some good points, but where Im from, LiL Wayne is loved by everybody, Im not the only person in my neighborhood that loves LiL Wayne, and think he is the best, and yea I always do try to listen to different people every once in a while but, it seems that theres nobody that can stop me from listening to Wayne, Im just too use to him. If yall were me, yall would understand.

#64 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

I use to be the same with Pac, trust me. I understand.

But I don't want you to stop listening to Wayne, just to try and discover different music. Nobody I knew from school listened to what I listened to, but that's not really a bad thing either, you know?

#65 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

We were a couple years back.

Well, I take that back, I never got into his music, but I did like Lil Jon's shit.

#66 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

As I tell many people, I bought my first Nas album the same day I bought Crunk Juice.

Needless to say, one album disappointed, the other changed my life.

#67 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts
  • Gallery:View
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

Yeah man I know what you mean. Where I'm from Weezy got mad love too, just about anywhere you go it will be the same. That's how I got into his music at first, but if you listen to some other stuff with an open mind (that is the key), I'm sure you will enjoy a lot of it.

#68 Freehuey

Freehuey

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:37 AM

next I liked some older Redman

Everyone should like Redman, it should be the law.

when I started listening it was all Tupac

*Video montage plays of all the good times that sentence brought back*

As I tell many people, I bought my first Nas album the same day I bought Crunk Juice.

I remember back when the Jay/Nas feud was hot I wanted to check out Nas to see how his album went up against Jay's [Was a jay fan but wasn't into hip-hop like I am now]. I also bought Afromans CD. Leaving the store I knew that Afroman was going to be the shit and Nas was going to have nothing on either Afroman or Jay. Probably a week later Nas was still playing and Afroman never got a second listen. My hip-hop tastes still evolved a lot to what they are today though, but that was probably the start of it.

As for Wayne, he isn't so bad, he isn't so great though. I started hanging out with my sisters boyfriend Randal a lot and we eventually became best friends, he listens to hip-hop and his favorite is also Wayne. When we chill we listen to a lot of music so I've gotten him more into hip-hop I like and in return he has gotten to like Wayne a bit. While I'm not a fan and would never go out of my way to reccomned him over anyone else I like, he still does have some stuff that I enjoy. He throws some funny lines out to and is a clever dude. He wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list though, he wouldn't even be on the list.

How old are you dmoney? Most people I know that listen to Wayne around here are between 15-18. I don't really know many people older than that who still really feel Wayne but that isn't to say they aren't around, just haven't met them. I think you just kind of grow out of what you listen to as you get into your later teens. I know a lot of people who's music tastes have been growing differently for years, mine has been pretty mellow for a while and at almost 21 I don't think they are going to change anymore than they are already at.

#69 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:46 AM

View PostFreehuey, on Feb 13 2008, 02:37 AM, said:

next I liked some older Redman

Everyone should like Redman, it should be the law.

Well, immediately upon hearing my first Redman album Dare Iz A Darkside, I was addicted, but I'd imagine that it's a bit too dirty [talking production] for most. Anyone can pick up Docs Da Name and get into it, though

#70 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

View PostFreehuey, on Feb 13 2008, 01:37 AM, said:

How old are you dmoney? Most people I know that listen to Wayne around here are between 15-18.

Yeah Im 15, but my older brother is 22 and he still listens to Wayne, and I also have two older sisters that listens to Wayne, one is 19 and the oldest is 27.

#71 C. Rich

C. Rich

1-24/L=NDEV

• Code-X Member
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

I haven't read the thread so Idk if its been said, but the worst rapper ever is Lil Wayne. Second to that would be Hurricane Chris.

#72 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

I don't know, Wayne actually tries to write, and does a decent job at times. Hurricane Chris and Lil Boosie are much worse.

#73 C. Rich

C. Rich

1-24/L=NDEV

• Code-X Member
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

I hate Wayne the most though, because he talks so cocky and calls himself the best, when there are OBVIOUSLY rappers that are too good to spit (not lyrically) in his direction.

#74 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

Him being cocky about it doesn't make him any less talented, it just adds irony.

Wayne is not the worst rapper, he's far from it.

#75 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:38 PM

I agree about LiL Boosie, he weak as hell but Hurricane Chris aint all that bad. Well his first song was weak as hell, that a bay bay or some shit lol, but that other song he made "Playa's Rock" aint all that bad.