Most Overrated Moves in WWE

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Poll: Overrated

Overrated

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Alan93

Alan93

Cole World

• Code-X Member
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

jeffs whisper in the wind, if people actully had the sense to move jeff would break his neck but the peoples elbow is just an elbow drop with alot of theatrics

Edited by Alan93, 08 January 2008 - 12:40 PM.

#27 PLA ICON

PLA ICON

PHOENIX'S BITTER BITTER RIVAL!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

View PostThe Fallen Angel, on Jan 7 2008, 04:59 PM, said:

View PostReal American ICON!, on Jan 5 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

View PostThe Fallen Angel, on Jan 7 2008, 04:40 PM, said:

The F-U, its basically a firemans carry, if it was more like a Death Valley Driver, it would look more painful and more effective (since you dropping them on there head). Also Hogan's Leg Drop is pretty lame & Mark Jindrak's Power Punch.

he said it USED TO BE more of a dvd not that it IS a dvd...

Never said that he said that, IMO if it was more like a DVD, it would look more effective

hence why he said IT USED TO look like one...

Do you understand the difference? Yes now the f-u is rediculous and doen't do much damage but he said it used to be more effective until it was dumbed down hence why it's less effectve looking now....

#28 Atheist

Atheist

Grim and Frostbitten!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:16 PM

View PostRabbit, on Jan 6 2008, 06:34 AM, said:

id have to say a huricarana

theres no way you could do that in real life

Yeah, because it's also realistic that tables, ladders, and chairs are used as weapons you can slam into whoever you're fighting, climb up on and jump off of, or smash your opponent onto in real life too right?

I'd say the F-U for the obvious reasons already stated.

#29 Sergio

Sergio

Resident Evil Fan

• Code-X Administrator
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:46 PM

View PostPurity, on Jan 8 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

Yeah, because it's also realistic that tables, ladders, and chairs are used as weapons you can slam into whoever you're fighting, climb up on and jump off of, or smash your opponent onto in real life too right?

Well with that concept, then I'd nominate all of wrestling as sports entertainment because who literally brawls in tights, elbow pads, knee pads, wrestling boots and performs wrestling style moves in a ring of all places? It's more of a circus using wrestling related material.

Overrated moves to me include:

Hogan Leg Drop - The man lands on his ass and it's supposed to knock you out?
RKO - looks like Orton hurts himself more, but he pops up nice
Female ***** Slaps - Uh ... it's just a slap
Overdrive - aka Playmaker - as TheRob said, "rookie move"
Powerbombs - they look assisted
The Worm - after all the dancing, all it is, is a falling chop (weak)
619 - Seems too obvious. The follow up is better.
Most diving attacks from the TB - the set ups are always heavily assisted

#30 Rabbit

Rabbit

Dream like you live forever, Live like you die tomorrow!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

im saying theres no way in real life that you could perform the move

cause when you jump up its almost impossible to be able to pull yourself into a swinging momentum

10/10 the person you do it to will be able to stop you

#31 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

Gotta admit, the Hogan Leg Drop

#32 Sharpshooter93

Sharpshooter93

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

• Code-X Member
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

i would say angle slam. The guy lands right on his back.

#33 +Virus

+Virus

TASTE THE RAINBOW!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,334 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

Add the Spinebuster.....and spear....I think...

#34 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

Honestly, it's pretty obvious that this thread is just impossible answer. there are like hundreds and probably more that could be considered overrated. There cannot be one single answer, though in the long list with tons of ties I'd say the Canadian Destroyer is close to the top all by itself.

The Canadian Destroyer is blatantly obviously fake. Yes, it's all "fake" to a certain degree but this is a move where the opponent does all of the work and the person "performing" the move is just along for the ride.

#35 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

Like a cat.. without a care..

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

View PostRabbit, on Jan 8 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

im saying theres no way in real life that you could perform the move

cause when you jump up its almost impossible to be able to pull yourself into a swinging momentum

10/10 the person you do it to will be able to stop you

Id put it more 7 or 8/10 it can be done but is extreamly hard without an assist

also we should probly focus more on the main eventers finishers cause they tend to get the biggest pop

#36 Atheist

Atheist

Grim and Frostbitten!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

View PostSergio, on Jan 6 2008, 07:46 AM, said:

View PostPurity, on Jan 8 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

Well with that concept, then I'd nominate all of wrestling as sports entertainment because who literally brawls in tights, elbow pads, knee pads, wrestling boots and performs wrestling style moves in a ring of all places? It's more of a circus using wrestling related material.

Overrated moves to me include:

Hogan Leg Drop - The man lands on his ass and it's supposed to knock you out?
RKO - looks like Orton hurts himself more, but he pops up nice
Female ***** Slaps - Uh ... it's just a slap
Overdrive - aka Playmaker - as TheRob said, "rookie move"
Powerbombs - they look assisted
The Worm - after all the dancing, all it is, is a falling chop (weak)
619 - Seems too obvious. The follow up is better.
Most diving attacks from the TB - the set ups are always heavily assisted

That was actually my point. Just because something wouldn't be possible to pull off IRL doesn't make it a bad move. The hurricanrana at least looks good, and looks like the person doing the move is the one doing the work.

#37 «WrÃthchild»

«WrÃthchild»

Code-X's Harvester of Sorrow

• Code-X Member
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Another one is the Samoan spike, its just a thumb to the head....

#38 Atheist

Atheist

Grim and Frostbitten!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

He spikes them in the neck... And with a thumb taped up like that, that really would be dangerous if somebody decided to thumb you irl.

#39 thomasbecknel

thomasbecknel

Code-X Superstar

• Code-X Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:04 AM

Of the choices given, I'd say The People's Elbow.
Most electrifying move in sports entertainment my foot.
It's just an elbow drop. C'mon.

And people, the F-U (both old and new) would hurt like hell. It's a legitimate wrestling (as well as MMA, though harder to pull off) move for a reason.

#40 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

People don't give the People's Elbow enough credit. Yeah, it's overrated somewhat, but come on. It's a stiff elbow drop usually square in the center of your chest, this is also a follow up usually to either a stiff spinebuster or his finisher the Rock Bottom. It's just enough to be believable. An elbow directly to the center on one's chest can keep someone down long enough for a three count especially since it's not just an elbow drop.

Even the F-U can be taken seriously to a certain degree despite it not looking like much and that it is still somewhat overrated. Slamming someone down that hard could drive the air out of their lungs and leave them momentarily incapacitated for a three count. Remember the move only really has to stun them enough to get a quick three count, it doesn't have to knock the opponent out cold.

Which also brings me to the Fisherman's Suplex (aka the Perfect Plex). It's not a powerful move by any means, but think of it logically. You're forcing your opponent into an awkward position with their leg being pull into their chest making it hard to breath, and then suplexed quickly onto their back to further drive air out of their lungs and with them already being clutched in a pin it could get a quick three count pinfall.

Hell, thinking about it logically a "Leg Drop of Doom" from Hogan could get a pin easily. First of all, you have to remember that Hogan works on his opponent's head most of the match with punches and usually follows up with a straight up kick to the face (aka Big Boot), then he gets some momentum rebounding off of the ropes leaps into the air and sandwiches his opponent's head between his leg and the mat. Now to put it into perspective, this isn't a soft canvas and Hogan is a 6'7" man who weighs nearly 300 pounds. So you're taking damage to the head through the match over time, the big boot further disorients you and then your head is squashed between a 6'7" man weighing nearly 300 pounds and the ring mat. Seriously, it could put you down for a three count and possibly knock you unconscious.

Yes, these moves seem overrated because they're usually considered standard moves, just done with a little bit more flash to them. But thinking logically any of them could still keep an opponent down for a three count.

Edited by TheRob, 09 January 2008 - 02:32 AM.

#41 Sergio

Sergio

Resident Evil Fan

• Code-X Administrator
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:38 AM

What makes the people's elbow easier to consider legit is the follow through of it all. A quick slamming spinebuster, followed by an elbow drop complemented by momentum of running from rope to rope. Also figure in that he removes his elbow pad to make it appear like he's landing his bear elbow without any cushion. Take into account the momentum of a near 275 pound man slamming his elbow down.

While The Rob does bring up good points for the excuse as to why some of these moves may cause enough damage for a 3 count, we must also take into account that sometimes wrestlers do their finishers without the assist of wearing the other guy down during a match. Austin follows a stunner after a beer chug. Sometimes wrestlers do their finisher right away during a segment and that's when it loses it's dramatic effect. Makes you wonder why they take so long to do it in a match if doing it asap lays the person out straight away.

#42 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:43 AM

View PostSergio, on Jan 9 2008, 03:38 AM, said:

What makes the people's elbow easier to consider legit is the follow through of it all. A quick slamming spinebuster, followed by an elbow drop complemented by momentum of running from rope to rope. Also figure in that he removes his elbow pad to make it appear like he's landing his bear elbow without any cushion. Take into account the momentum of a near 275 pound man slamming his elbow down.

While The Rob does bring up good points for the excuse as to why some of these moves may cause enough damage for a 3 count, we must also take into account that sometimes wrestlers do their finishers without the assist of wearing the other guy down during a match. Austin follows a stunner after a beer chug. Sometimes wrestlers do their finisher right away during a segment and that's when it loses it's dramatic effect. Makes you wonder why they take so long to do it in a match if doing it asap lays the person out straight away.
Yes, I thought of those times when moves are done outside of matches, but I don't take them into account since they're done like that for the sake of entertainment alone really. I mean no one would take it seriously if someone just stood up from a finisher outside of a match because they weren't worn down enough. I mainly take these moves into consideration during actual full matches. Trust me, I've had the same thought as you many times in the past. People kicked out of finishers during matches even after being worn down, yet the same move can KO you automatically in a non-competitive segment.

Edited by TheRob, 09 January 2008 - 02:47 AM.

#43 KrossFire

KrossFire

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

• Code-X Member
  • 2,306 posts
  • Gallery:View
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:49 AM

Very Overrated Finishers

Hogans Leg Drop= OVERRATED
Edge's Spear= Doesn't look effective, like Lashley's Spear or Goldberg's
The Worm= All he does it's taunt and hit you in the chest..... Amazing.....
Sweat Chin Music= Taunts> Kicks you in the Chin> nothing Special amazing
Kennedy's Latest Finisher> No Really Effective Looking
Rock Bottom= Very Overrated once again
Playmaker= What The Hell is that, a very Rookie move

Thats all i can think of at this moment.....

Edited by KrossF!re, 09 January 2008 - 02:51 AM.

#44 Sergio

Sergio

Resident Evil Fan

• Code-X Administrator
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:50 AM

Odd isn't it. Aside from the whole entertainment factor of it. Seems like at PPV's they tend to kick out of finishers for the added drama.

#45 twinkle07

twinkle07

Code-X.ws' Doppelgänger

• Code-X Member
  • 707 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:09 AM

I'm not saying the F-U is a pile of donkey crap, I don't think anyone here is, it's a desent move that can leave you downed for a couple of seconds. I just have a problem with Cenas take on it. It's all well and good him doing the move and then following it with a pin asap. But, as always, WWE over sells its power. Cena does the F-U then pins 1-2-3 (that's fine) but then his opponent is KO'd for the next half hour while he goes off into a rant. Or when he does it to a superstar who is still fresh (like on the Cutting Edge ages ago) it put them to sleep for yonks.

Now I know you're gonna "but the Stunner does the same thing". Indeed in the middle of a beer bash while Austin and his victim are both fresh is a little hard to believe. But remember that for as long as Austin has used the Stunner we have been conditioned into believing that the Stunner is the most powerful move this side of just getting a gun and shooting your opponent. And besides, everyone likes Austin - thus it's more believable.

#46 Atheist

Atheist

Grim and Frostbitten!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:43 AM

lol @ sweet chin music being over-rated? Looks like a damn sure way to finish off an opponent if you ask me.

#47 Mickie's #1 Fan

Mickie's #1 Fan

Code-X Jobber

• Code-X Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:57 AM

unless you're head is just plain solid with nothing inside Sweet Chin Music is going to rattle everything in it and put you down.....apparently you've been lucky not ever get kicked in the head......

@ TheRob.....I see all points you made and I agree with all those points.....

as to all of you deem the F-U as over rated all I have to say is why don't you find some big guy go find a ring and have them pick you up and F-U you and see if you can kick out before a three count.....It's doubtful that any of you can.....that's why I have alot more respect for each and every wrestler out there and what they do.....because I believe it would kill me to do this stuff several times a week

#48 O-Yama³

O-Yama³

I'm Gay

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

I actually think the chokeslam is an overrated move, its just a hand around the throat the guy who is receiving it gets told when to jump so the giver seems powerful and for a wrestler I just don't think it would hurt as they are trained to fall with minimum pain, I also find S2H the worm an overrated move its just a little tap to the chest nothing to knock you out and definitely nothing to get a 3 count over.

#49 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

View Post◄Shαuη►, on Jan 9 2008, 08:43 AM, said:

I actually think the chokeslam is an overrated move, its just a hand around the throat the guy who is receiving it gets told when to jump so the giver seems powerful and for a wrestler I just don't think it would hurt as they are trained to fall with minimum pain, I also find S2H the worm an overrated move its just a little tap to the chest nothing to knock you out and definitely nothing to get a 3 count over.
Well, the Chokeslam is another tricky move. From a big guy, even if still assisted, it is pretty believable, so it works. When someone like Helms, as The Hurricane, was doing it, not so much. He was doing it most for entertainment's sake, well that and also because the shit heads at WWE stripped him of the Vertabreaker. But anyway the move assisting aside, which isn't always obvious, like you said it's a hand around the throat followed by a slam. Now take into consideration that the men doing these moves are on average big men between 6'6" to 7'+, and also take into consideration that it is a choke that cuts off the opponent's air supply for a short period of time and restricts blood flow to the brain. Then couple this with the fact that the opponent is then generally lift 7 foot plus into the air and then thrown down forcibly causing the opponent's head to bounce off of the mat and the impact to force the air out of their lungs. It is believable.

Besides, the whole assisting thing is mostly done for entertainment sake, but have you ever seen a Vader Chokeslam? He pretty much hoists them up with his own power, and probably does one of the most brutal looking Chokeslams you'll ever see.

#50 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts
  • Gallery:View
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

Most overrated move IMO = Boston Crab, it's heavily assisted and the only pressure the move applies is just what the receiver allows, and if the receiver is a big guy, the move looks highly unbelievable, it's also a really easy move to reverse.