• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Derrik Stone

Derrik Stone

You've just been Stoned!!

• Code-X Member
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

I read somewhere yesterday that there's a push for the legal drinking age to be dropped. The thought behind this is that it will discourage binge drinking. Unless I'm mistaken, dropped to 18. So what do you guys think of that? Do you think that would actually make a difference?

I personally dont' think that it would. Alot of people I know binge drink frequently, and they're all of legal drinking age. Plus, I'm from the mountains of TN so most of the people here just make their own alcohol anyway. Yep, it's still very cliche where I'm from.

#2 Hargy

Hargy

H F X 0 1 0

• Code-X Member
  • 9,603 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator
  • Gallery:View
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

Well in the UK if you have permission from your parents your aloud to drink at the age of 5.

#3 Derrik Stone

Derrik Stone

• Code-X Member
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

WOW!! So that's not water in the sippie cups, eh? I wouldn't be too surprised if they did something like that here in the states soon. Apparently, underage drinking is causing alot of trouble in college's around the country.

#4 Ollie The Magic Bum

Ollie The Magic Bum

BALL DON'T LIE!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

Just lower it. It's not like most high school seniors aren't getting shit-tanked on the weekends anyway.

Edited by Ollie The Magic Bum, 22 August 2008 - 11:19 PM.

#5 Alan93

Alan93

Cole World

• Code-X Member
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Rasing or lowering wont do anything but what they are doing is something that effects local bussiness and its rasing the cost of licenses to sell drink and for small places they just wouldint make enough to make it worth their while

Edited by Alan93, 23 August 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#6 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

I think it's a bad idea tbh it'll lead to more deaths, etc. But oh well glad I don't drink lol.

#7 PrettyBoyAJ

PrettyBoyAJ

Code-X Main Eventer

• Code-X Member
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:55 PM

Let kids drink. Let alot more deaths happen. That'll teach em.

#8 Soon2BeLegend

Soon2BeLegend

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

people still drink illegally anyways so it wont matter whether they drop it or not because teenagers have ways of getting alcohol

#9 SadPANDA.

SadPANDA.

Code-X Superstar

• Banned
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

Over here, the age limit to BUY drinks is 18... but there's no limit for DRINKING it.

#10 Soon2BeLegend

Soon2BeLegend

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

i know. but most people i know are able to get alcohol when they arent 18. thats the problem

#11 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Legend

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

View PostOllie The Magic Bum, on Aug 23 2008, 01:19 AM, said:

Just lower it. It's not like most high school seniors aren't getting shit-tanked on the weekends anyway.

I'd agree but as easy as it is to acquire alcohol, making it easier isn't a responsible answer.

I'm pretty sure 21 is the most appropriate age. I've never met a responsible enough 18 year old to be convinced they deserve legal freedom to purchase alcohol.

But I don't want to hear that "I'm old enough to go to war" story either...Because for one that's another flaw in the system, and it's a whole new discussion.

#12 Socom

Socom

Michael Jackson 1958-2009 What a Legend

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

View PostBumbleCakes, on Aug 23 2008, 10:55 PM, said:

I agree 100%. This is going to sound cold but let them drink we can't stop people from getting there hands on a drink if there die its there fault.

#13 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

View PostSocom, on Aug 23 2008, 07:45 PM, said:

View PostBumbleCakes, on Aug 23 2008, 10:55 PM, said:

I agree 100%. This is going to sound cold but let them drink we can't stop people from getting there hands on a drink if there die its there fault.

Well...Maybe in the UK.

But the U.S Government has to babysit Americans, by regulating everything; with alcohol being one of those things. You can't tell someone here that it's "your fault"...Nor there parents fault...It's the government.

Watch me finish all of GTA4, a 40 oz, and grab my car keys. Tomorrow on the news they'll talk about the regulation of all those things and how it wasn't my own irresponsible self, but the government's fault...

It's like...it's our fault, but it's there fault...America is funny like that.

#14 Soon2BeLegend

Soon2BeLegend

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

and drinking and then, if they can drive, get into a car and cause an accident, it may not be only them dieing.

#15 Ollie The Magic Bum

Ollie The Magic Bum

BALL DON'T LIE!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:39 PM

You can buy cigarettes at 18. You can die for your country at 18. But you can't have a drink at 18? Bullshit.

#16 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

Hargy Noob Count: 24

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

You can actually sell alcohol at 18 though.

#17 †ψį©КΞÐŁįĢĦŦИЇNפֿ†™

†ψį©КΞÐŁįĢĦŦИЇNפֿ†™

Code-X Jobber

• Code-X Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:59 AM

it would make it easier for younger teenagers to get it from their 18 year old friends if that happened, so i say that would be awesome, because the people that are smart enough to get the alchohol in the first place can handle what they are getting.

#18 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:21 AM

View Post†ψį©КΞÐ, on Aug 24 2008, 02:59 AM, said:

it would make it easier for younger teenagers to get it from their 18 year old friends if that happened, so i say that would be awesome, because the people that are smart enough to get the alchohol in the first place can handle what they are getting.

Nah, they aren't.

And it's not hard to get it.

#19 koberulz

koberulz

Retired. You miss me.

• Code-X Member
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:33 AM

The legal drinking age is 18 here. If you're 14 or older, and don't drink, you're in the minority.

Legal drinking ages achieve absolutely nothing.

#20 †ψį©КΞÐŁįĢĦŦИЇNפֿ†™

†ψį©КΞÐŁįĢĦŦИЇNפֿ†™

Code-X Jobber

• Code-X Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:20 AM

im 15 and i can get pretty much whatever i want, from beer to cocaine( but cocaine is stupid to do) and its not hard at all so i guess your right that it achieves nothing even if its illegal period because someone somewhere is selling it.

#21 Yournext

Yournext

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 1,533 posts
  • Location:If you want to come home with me,you'll have to buy me a drink first

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

Fate L, I actually think the whole war argument is a completely valid argument. Likewise, if somebody is old enough for the death penalty, old enough to go to jail for life, old enough to be financially independent, etc., they are old enough to drink alcohol.

I'm 18, and I feel that I can drink responsibly. I don't like going to frat parties and getting "hammered", but I do like drinking socially to relax and "up my game".

In fact, the few frat parties I HAVE been to were a bunch of 21 and up people (they ID there, but I am well connected so I can get in anyway), and they all get "hammered" and make complete asses of themselves.

Fact is, 21 year olds still get drunk and still drink very irresponsibly.

In fact, as you can see here, ages 21-29 seems to be the highest arrested demographic for dwis.

#22 Derrik Stone

Derrik Stone

• Code-X Member
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

the problem with an age limit is simply that not everyone in the same age bracket acts the same. some fifteen year olds may be more mature and sensible with drinking than a fifty year old.

#23 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

View PostYournext, on Aug 24 2008, 11:49 AM, said:

Fate L, I actually think the whole war argument is a completely valid argument. Likewise, if somebody is old enough for the death penalty, old enough to go to jail for life, old enough to be financially independent, etc., they are old enough to drink alcohol.

Well really...you need to be 18 to join the army. You can't come back and be 18, you'll be like 20-21 when you get back, lol.

My point however, is not even that. I don't think an 18 year old should hold a grenade or a MK either...So I don't look at the alcohol law as being wrong, I look at the comparisons as being the problem.

#24 Hart

Hart

The only mod with a Hart

• Code-X Member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

21 is way to high if you ask me. They should lower it to 18 to purchase liquor, and 21 to drink publicly/go to a bar. They sounds like a perfect idea if you ask me.

#25 Shadow

Shadow

Code X Join Date: March 15, 2005

• Code-X Member
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:12 AM

Or maybe have it at 19 to purchase alcohol and drink at a bar, that's the way it is here in British Columbia.