Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 3,175 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:21 AM

Credit: Whitecloak

WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAY ONLINE?

Network Adapter

There are several models available for use, although the one most people recommend is the official one produced by Sony.
Posted Image
This will set you back ~$40, and it's well worth it. It attaches to the back of your PS2, and has two inputs: one for ethernet cable (broadband) and one for a phone jack (56k/"narrowband"). It comes packaged with a setup disk that includes all the necessary drivers you'll need to get it working. Also, some games (such as SOCOM) only work with the official adapter, so you might as well save yourself some trouble and get the right one. No tools are necessary for installation; all you need is a nickel or something for the big screw that mounts it to the console.

Network connection

Once you have the adapter, all you need is a network connection. Only a few games (SOCOM, to name one) require a broadband connection to play. Some games such as Twisted Metal Black: Online allow more players (8 instead of 2) in a game for broadband users. In the long run, though, you'll realize that broadband play is much better, and many players won't play with those using 56k connections (and understandably so). Once you have this set up (which you probably do, considering the fact that you're reading this FAQ), enter your login info (if your ISP requires it) in the Network Adapter's setup screen and you'll have no problem logging on when you're ready.

Note: the European Network Adapter only works with a broadband connection, as it has no input for telephone jacks.

An online game!

See the [ Online Titles Listing ] for a full list. Keep in mind that the Japanese, US, and European lists are all different.

2. How much is it gonna cost me?

It depends on your connection speed. The network adapter will run you ~$40, plus an additional ~$25-65/month for a broadband connection, ~$0-25/month for a 56k connection, and a possible ~$10/month for the game's subscription. This subscription charge only presently occurs on three games, though: Everquest Online Adventures, Everquest Online Adventures: Frontiers, and Final Fantasy XI. No future releases have been announced yet to include a subscription charge, and Sony has announced that NONE of its games will ever require one.

Some ISPs may also require you to pay an additional ~$5/month for another IP address to get your PS2 to work, namely AOL broadband. You can alleviate this, though, by opting for a router, which will allow you to not only use your PC and other peripherals at the same time on the same modem, but also automatically assign your OWN PS2 IP for free (as well as providing good hardware firewall protection for the paranoid). This will cost you anywhere from $30-150, depending on the model and whether or not you op for a wireless setup.

3. How can I use my PS2 and PC online at the same time?

See the above paragraph for router costs. You can also use a hub, but that may require an additional [purchased] IP from your ISP.

The setup is pretty simple. Just connect the router or hub to the modem with an ethernet cable, then connect two more ethernet cables to the back of the router or hub. One will then connect to the ethernet card on your PC, the other to the PS2 Network Adapter. Here's a diagram to explain:
Posted Image
4. Do I need the Hard Drive to play online?

NO. The only game requiring it at present is Final Fantasy XI, which will come pre-installed on the hard drive when it comes out in the US in March, 2004. However, some games such as Everquest OA and Auto Modellista may feature downloadable content that will only be available if you have the hard drive. More info will be posted on this closer to its release.

5. Can I use a mouse and keyboard with my PS2?

Sure. Any old USB keyboard or mouse will work. Just jack 'em into the front and you're ready to go. This will save you a LOT of time when typing out messages will chatting in-game, and some games in the future will be MUCH easier to play with a mouse. DO NOT, however, try to use a PS/2 peripheral with your PS2; they are two completely different things, and there's no input on the PS2 to match PS/2 jacks, anyway. Just look for "USB" on the package, or better yet, use the ones you already have (the jack is small and flat, less than a centimeter wide).

6. What's the deal with the headset? Do all headsets work?

The headset is used to chat with your opponents (or teammates in larger games) while playing online games. In most games it's like talking on the phone, with no necessary button presses and free two-way talk the whole time. However, some games such as SOCOM only allow one person to talk at a time because of the lag induced through conversation (and you have to press a button to talk).

At present, the only third-party headset reported to work consistently with the PS2 is the Labtec Axis 611. However, you'd be much better off buying the official headset made by Logitech, as all online games are guaranteed to work with it, and it's more comfortable, anyway.
Posted Image
This will set you back another ~$30-40, depending on the place you purchase it. If you got a headset with your copy of SOCOM, it will work just fine as well.

7. What games does the headset work with?

See the [ Online Titles Listing ] for a full list.

8. How do I get a copy of Twisted Metal Black: Online?

This was a promotional offer for those who purchased network adapters before February 2003. If you don't have it by now, you'll have to get one off Ebay.

9. Can I play online with players in other countries?

As long as both people have a copy of an online version of the game, players in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc. can play together. Japan, unfortunately, is online-isolated at the moment.

10. What's beta-testing, and how can I do it?

In order to iron out the kinks before games are released, many developers release "rough drafts" of the games a few months before they're released so players can test them out and find "all" the bugs. Availability to sign up varies between games; just keep up with message boards (such as those here on neoseeker) and developer web sites to find applications.

11. How much space do I need on my memory card to use the Network Adapter?

Fortunately all you need is 137k, much less than the 2MB necessary for the DVD drivers.

12. My PC uses a USB adapter to connect to the internet. Will I be able to connect to the internet with my PS2?

Sure. What you're probably using is something like this, likely brought to you and installed by whoever set up your broadband internet connection:
Posted Image
If you're not going the router/hub route, just be sure to connect the ETHERNET CABLE, not the USB cable, to the PS2. Jacking it into the front of your PS2's USB ports will not give you the result you want.

13. My PC and PS2 are on opposite sides of the house; I'm thinking about using a wireless setup. What do I need to do?

You can always go buy yourself a 100-foot ethernet cable, but if you don't know how to drill holes in floors or don't like cords stretching across the room, the wireless setup may be much better.

14. Can I play rental games online, or do I need some special serial number or something specific to that game?

Nope. I play rental games online all the time.

15. These @#)*$'s are cheatin'! What can I do?

Unfortunately, cheating has run rampant on a couple games, mainly the first edition of SOCOM. There's not a lot you can do about it, but Sony and other developers are perfectly aware of the problem. Fortunately, many new games such as SOCOM II will not let you connect if you have a Gameshark or Codebreaker (the main two sources of most of the cheating) connected to your PS2. Cheaters found doing it successfully in SOCOM II even net themselves a ban.

16. I wanna #@($*& cheat! What can I do?

Buy a Gameshark or Codebreaker, and never talk to me again. Oh yeah, and stay off my servers; I hate you and everything you represent.

17. I'm using MSN dial-up (56k) to connect, yet it won't work with my PS2. What gives?

When you set up your Network Adapter, make sure you enter msn/ before your username.

18. I'm using a router, and my headset doesn't work! Do I need to change some UDP whatchamacallits or something?

It varies between games. This is asked most frequently by SOCOM and SOCOM II users, and to get it to work you're going to have to change some settings on your router. The method for accessing them varies between routers, so see the router developer's website to find out. If you have questions about this, PM me.

First of all, make sure your PS2 is in a DMZ, or "Demilitarized Zone" (a bit ominous, don't you think?). This allows unrestricted access to and from your PS2 to the internet.

Second, make sure you have the latest firmware version for your router, This, too, can be obtained from your router's website. The later versions often include something like "Gaming Mode," which may or may not fix the problem for you. Check this option.

Thirdly (and this is the hard part), if those don't work you're going to have to open some ports. After consulting your router's website, open these ports for SOCOM: I'd list these (and will gladly PM them to you if you ask me), but fortunately most router websites now include FAQs for fixing this for both games, and you'll be much better off following those step-by-step.

19. Can I play SOCOM online with a 56k connection?

Yes and no. There's a trick to get it to work with SOCOM 1, but it ain't worth a damn and causes so much lag it isn't worth it. Plus, it lags everyone else in the game, so be a pal and don't try it. I won't even tell you how here.

And this does NOT work with SOCOM II.

20. I heard that hackers can access my PS2 and set it on fire. Do I need a "firewall" to protect myself?

If you believe this, I have some timeshares I'd like to sell you. Hacker paranoia is a logical fear, though, but the chance that someone can and will access your PS2 and cause damage is infinitesimal. Also, you won't have to worry (for now) about viruses with downloadable content, as these will be provided by the game developers and should be safe.

21. I'm setup behind a firewall. Do I need to open some ports to use my PS2 online?

Possibly. Try it as is, and if you can't access the servers, contact your router developer's or firewall software's website for further info.

22. I have a USB DSL modem. Do I have to go buy an ethernet modem?

Nope. First, make sure the modem doesn't have ethernet AND USB ports on the back. If it doesn't, simply run an ethernet cable from the ethernet card in the PC (connected to the modem via USB) to the PS2. Keep in mind that you have to be running Win 98 SE or higher to make this work.

23. I've installed my Network Adapter, and now everytime I reset my PS2 it shuts off. Is this normal?

Reseting can damage the Network Adapter, so the setup disk automatically gets rid of this option. You'll just have to get used to it.

24. My broadband modem has a USB and an ethernet port. Can I use the USB for my PC and the ethernet for my PS2 to use both simultaneously?

YEP. An easy setup as well.

25. Sometimes SOCOM/SOCOM II says there's no one in any of the servers. Is this true, or is there a problem?

A common bug often seen when exiting matches. Easy ways to fix this (faster than refreshing the servers), is to enter and exit the Player Ranking menu. Some of the other menus work well (and faster, I believe) but I can't remember them off-hand.

26. Can I use my PS2 online with free ISPs?

Not with some, although there is a program called DialGuard that works reportedly works with NetZero. But get out of the Stone Age, already.

27. Can I play games like TimeSplitters 2 online?

Yep. It's complicated and buggy though. I don't feel like outlining the process; but it involves Gamespy if you want to go find out.