91 replies to this topic

#51 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

It's true IMO. You have Hart, Benoit, Flair, Dynamite, and a large assortment of a fifth person to pick.

Hart - says Dynamite is the best
Benoit - admired Dynamite, said he was the best
Dynamite - consistently put on amazing matches and made everyone look good.

Too much to deny, lol.

#52 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

Hargy Noob Count: 24

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

View PostTheKGBIsAfterYou, on Apr 6 2008, 01:20 PM, said:

It's true IMO. You have Hart, Benoit, Flair, Dynamite, and a large assortment of a fifth person to pick.

Too much to deny, lol.

Those guys are all great, but I don't think that I could pick a top five all time wrestler list. Picking a highflyer is hard enough.

#53 Kiyomi Takada

Kiyomi Takada

Lol, I burned myself to death coz my boyfriend told me to

• Code-X Member
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

View PostTheKGBIsAfterYou, on Apr 6 2008, 12:20 PM, said:

Too much to deny, lol.
Shawn Michaels tops the list. Ric Flair would be second, and then you've got the guys like Benoit, Hart and Kurt Angle. I wouldn't call Dynamite in the top five, top twenty or so, but I think the guys I mentioned all top him in terms of skill, charisma and natural ability. Ricky Steamboat, Terry Funk and Triple H all in their prime are also ahead of Kid. He was great, and paved the way for a lot of wrestlers like Benoit, but they all surpassed him, for want of a better word.

#54 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

I always felt Flair was slightly overrated, and Funk was vastly overrated. Michaels is up there, but then I remember how he ****ed over Diesel's whole title run with their match. In terms of skill in the ring and making people look good, no one tops Dynamite.

#55 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

HBK and Dynamite, are two of the best, but I still don't think that I could pick a top five of all time, lol.

#56 Kiyomi Takada

Kiyomi Takada

• Code-X Member
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

View PostTheKGBIsAfterYou, on Apr 6 2008, 01:27 PM, said:

I always felt Flair was slightly overrated, and Funk was vastly overrated. Michaels is up there, but then I remember how he ****ed over Diesel's whole title run with their match. In terms of skill in the ring and making people look good, no one tops Dynamite.
Funk isn't overrated. He's the best seller I've ever seen in my life, he's got great psychology and he's just nuts. He was brilliant in his prime. I don't see how Michaels screwed over Diesel's title run? And Michaels makes people look better than anybody else, look at his match with Sycho Sid, where he made Sid, who couldn't work a match to save his life, look awesome. Same with Undertaker in 1997. Regardless of what anybody says, it was Michael's selling that made the Hell in a Cell. He carried Mr. McMahon to a match of epic proportions. If you look at Michaels in 1995-1997, nobody was ever better, his stuff with midcarders like Jarret made them look like main event players, he carried Kevin Nash to the match of his life.

And if you want proof of Michaels making people look good: Summerslam 2005.

#57 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

The way you're speaking, you would have thought I said HBK was horrible. He's one of my favorites. In his match with Diesel at Wrestlemania, Michaels was supposed to be the heel. Instead he goes in and does a bunch of fancy moves, getting the crowd on his side. Diesel's run wasn't the same after that.

Funk can tell a story with the best, but his actual work in the ring leaves much to be desired.

#58 Kiyomi Takada

Kiyomi Takada

• Code-X Member
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

View PostTheKGBIsAfterYou, on Apr 6 2008, 04:24 PM, said:

The way you're speaking, you would have thought I said HBK was horrible. He's one of my favorites. In his match with Diesel at Wrestlemania, Michaels was supposed to be the heel. Instead he goes in and does a bunch of fancy moves, getting the crowd on his side. Diesel's run wasn't the same after that.

Funk can tell a story with the best, but his actual work in the ring leaves much to be desired.
Not really. Diesel's title run was already stale, and drawing practically very few fans in a big down moment for the WWF. Shawn Michaels did fancy moves to make the match good, and he made it great. If he didn't, then it would have looked like a normal Diesel title defense, which isn't what you want for a Wrestlemania main event. Michaels is great in the same way as Curt Hennig, in that he would bump around and make his opponent look like an absolute beast before the end.

If you ask me, Michaels was in the greatest matches of all time. The Triple Threat match at Wrestlemania XX, the match with Angle at 21, the ladder match with Razor Ramon, the Hell in a Cell with Undertaker, the match with Ric Flair at 24. Those are five of the best matches of all time, all involving Michaels. For me, the Flair match and the triple threat are two of the best matches ever, and the only other ones that come close are Bret Hart-Stone Cold and Rock-Austin.

Dynamite Kid was a great wrestler, but didn't have enough natural charisma like Shawn Michaels has, or Ric Flair had. That's a huge part of the deal for me. You need that storytelling in a match, such as Flair-Michaels which told a perfect story, or the triple threat match at XX, or Austin-Rock or Austin-Hart. Dynamite Kid just didn't have the emotion to tell these sorts of stories. Great wrestler, perfect pacing and timing, but lacking in that department.

#59 PLA ICON

PLA ICON

PHOENIX'S BITTER BITTER RIVAL!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

Tasha did you REALLY just say HBK made Hogan look GOOD @ SS?? Go back and watch the natch..he made Hogan look like a goof by overselling every single move he did...Big boot, shwan falls down, JUMPS BACK UP and runs around then falls back down...

Come on Tasha that was, imo, a bad example...Even Shawn said himself, dont ask me to quote it or find it I just know its been noted, that he oversold on purpose cuz he knew Hogan just HAD to get the win...Shawn wasn't exactly happy that Hogan never came back to do the job for him and his Promo the night after Showed his dislike for Hogan. Shawn did the job but def. made Hogan look like a goof.

#60 red_medicine

red_medicine

Ranger.

• Code-X Member
  • 3,484 posts
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

View PostReal American ICON!, on Apr 5 2008, 08:53 PM, said:

ahhyes I just watched a video of him doing it..he actualy twists his body in mid air so its not a flip.

if u see his older stuff u'll see that Burchill dosent twist...its a full on flip.

Im not a hugh Jack Evans fan.... sure he does some crazy shit but meh. Even though he has improved alot id like to see a bit less flips and more wrestling on his part.

A great high Flyer would be Jody Fleisch (dont know how to spell his last name :P). that man can put on a show. Sure he botches a bit but when most of ur moves are springboards and such ur gonna mess up sometimes.

Juventude would definetly be up there. His WCW/AAA stuff back when he was younger was amazing. Back when he wore his mask the matches that man put on were incredible. Before his "Juice" days he was awesome. Psychosis would also be up there, imo ECW/AAA Psychosis was really his best days. I really dont have a greatest highflyer its just too hard to say how.
And jeez ppl no love for Sonjay Dutt, Ultimo Dragon or Dragon Kid come on ppl.

#61 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

View PostSV7*N, on Apr 7 2008, 05:22 PM, said:

View PostReal American ICON!, on Apr 5 2008, 08:53 PM, said:

ahhyes I just watched a video of him doing it..he actualy twists his body in mid air so its not a flip.

if u see his older stuff u'll see that Burchill dosent twist...its a full on flip.

Im not a hugh Jack Evans fan.... sure he does some crazy shit but meh. Even though he has improved alot id like to see a bit less flips and more wrestling on his part.

A great high Flyer would be Jody Fleisch (dont know how to spell his last name :P). that man can put on a show. Sure he botches a bit but when most of ur moves are springboards and such ur gonna mess up sometimes.

Juventude would definetly be up there. His WCW/AAA stuff back when he was younger was amazing. Back when he wore his mask the matches that man put on were incredible. Before his "Juice" days he was awesome. Psychosis would also be up there, imo ECW/AAA Psychosis was really his best days. I really dont have a greatest highflyer its just too hard to say how.
And jeez ppl no love for Sonjay Dutt, Ultimo Dragon or Dragon Kid come on ppl.

For the not twisting part, I think that he was referring to Kaz. Jody Fleisch is pretty great as well. I actuall saw Juve and Psychosis wrestle the other day on Galavision (a spanish channel) and they still are pretty good in the ring. As for Sonjay, he was better before he came to TNA, he is still amazing. He has also done on move, which I haven't seen anywhere else, and that is the moonsault foot stomp. Ultimo, and Dragon Kid, are also very skilled performers.

#62 Kiyomi Takada

Kiyomi Takada

• Code-X Member
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

I can't stand Jody Fleisch. Botching a bit is an understatement. I can't stand his wrestling for the same reason I can't stand Teddy Hart's wrestling.

#63 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

View PostTasha KO, on Apr 7 2008, 07:44 PM, said:

I can't stand Jody Fleisch. Botching a bit is an understatement. I can't stand his wrestling for the same reason I can't stand Teddy Hart's wrestling.

You have to understand though, with the risks that these guys take, they're bound to make mistakes.

#64 Kiyomi Takada

Kiyomi Takada

• Code-X Member
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

View Postphoenixsplash630, on Apr 7 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

View PostTasha KO, on Apr 7 2008, 07:44 PM, said:

You have to understand though, with the risks that these guys take, they're bound to make mistakes.
Then, perhaps slow it down a tad? Its all well and good hitting hundreds of head bumps and doing thousands of springboards, but adding more psychology to your game, and hitting, say, two big moves in the match is a lot more impressive. If you overdo it, its just like seeing the same stuff, and it gets repetitive. I don't really care what risks they're taking, if it means you're going to make a mistake and possibly injure yourself or your opponent, don't do it, or at least pick the perfect time. Professionals don't put the lives or careers of other superstars in jeopardy.

This is why people regard guys like Sasuke, Liger, Mysterio some of the best high-fliers because you very rarely see them botch, and they don't overdo it, so its still fresh. They add the psychology to their game and the match is still exciting. High fliers isn't about the moves, its about the selling more so. Look at Mysterio, he's one of the best sellers of all time, and that adds genuine long term excitement to a match, as opposed to flashy moves which is just to show off.

#65 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

Tasha KO, I do agree that Sasuke, Liger and Mysterio are great, and pretty botchless. But so are a lot of other guys. For example, through Jack Evans career, I have only seen two major botches here, and here. I will admit, that the rate at which you botch, does lower your value as a wrestler. (obviously)

Off topic, great sig and avatar.

Edited by phoenixsplash630, 07 April 2008 - 06:31 PM.

#66 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

I can't believe that nobody has Jeff Hardy or Rey Mysterio is there top 5, i know there in my top for sure.

#67 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

View PostD_Money, on Apr 7 2008, 08:52 PM, said:

I can't believe that nobody has Jeff Hardy or Rey Mysterio is there top 5, i know there in my top for sure.

Actually, a lot of people have mentioned Mysterio, as for Jeff Hardy I have to disagree. Part of being a highflyer is having agility, and many different moves. All Jeff Hardy has is the "Whisper in The Wind," and the Swanton Bomb, which aren't very impressive moves.

Also, I'm still thanking you for the avatar, it's amazing.

Edited by phoenixsplash630, 07 April 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#68 KrossFire

KrossFire

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

• Code-X Member
  • 2,306 posts
  • Gallery:View
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

View Postphoenixsplash630, on Apr 7 2008, 07:27 PM, said:

Actually, a lot of people have mentioned Mysterio, as for Jeff Hardy I have to disagree. Part of being a highflyer is having agility, and many different moves. All Jeff Hardy has is the "Whisper in The Wind," and the Swanton Bomb, which aren't very impressive moves.

thank you someone reconizes jeff hardy is not a highflyer, as for my choices jack evans, Rey-Rey, Shelton Benjamin, aj styles, london and kendrick and i'll think of the rest later....

Edited by .KrossFire., 07 April 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#69 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

Hey, that is the first Shelton Benjamin reference so far. But, lately, he's been showing off his athleticism, and not his highflying ability. Another person, who I think won't be mentioned, but is a great highflyer, is John Morrison. I believe that he was the creator of the split legged corkscrew moonsault.

#70 KrossFire

KrossFire

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

• Code-X Member
  • 2,306 posts
  • Gallery:View
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

totally agree with you man Morrison has some major highflying talent not as great as RoH stars but he's pretty good.....

#71 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

Morrison is also very innovative, like the moonsault with a trashcan is pure genius. Don't be surprised to see him invent a lot of moves before he hangs up his boots.

#72 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

View Post.KrossFire., on Apr 7 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

View Postphoenixsplash630, on Apr 7 2008, 07:27 PM, said:

thank you someone reconizes jeff hardy is not a highflyer, as for my choices jack evans, Rey-Rey, Shelton Benjamin, aj styles, london and kendrick and i'll think of the rest later....

Yea yall right, I was just thinking about how he always jumping off ladders and all that. So I'll just say I think Rey Mysterio is one of the greatest high flyers of all time.

#73 phoenixsplash630

phoenixsplash630

• Code-X Member
  • 17,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:40 PM

I can definitely agree with that.

#74 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

Like a cat.. without a care..

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

some of my fav highflyers: (not in any order)

Rey Mysterio
John Morrison
Ultimo Dragon
Rob Van Dam
AJ Styles
Psychosis

some of my fav highflying moves:

SSP
almost any Spring Board move
Tornado DDT
Suicide Dive

#75 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Ahh, Ultimo was one of my faves as a kid.

And yeah, Jody is pretty gay.