66 replies to this topic

#1 CG54_.X

CG54_.X

The Code-X Icon.

• Banned
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

Source: www.llama.com

DO NOT CHANGE THE POSITION OF YOUR XBOX 360 WHILE IT IS ON WITH A DISC IN THE DRIVE OR YOU RISK POTENTIALLY DAMAGING YOUR GAME DISC.

A growing number of Xbox 360 customers are reporting having problems with their disc's getting scratched by the DVD drive when switching the unit's position from vertical to horizontal and vise versa.. Initially we thought this was the usual fanboy vs. hater propaganda that swirls around the launch of any new console like this. It didn't take long until the seriousness of the situation reared it ugly head right here in the Llamma's shop. I personally have experienced this issue not once but twice already. Here I was at a friends house helping him get this 360 all setup and networked for Live. In the process we decided to lay the Xbox on it side instead of the upright position.. I thought nothing of doing this while the unit was powered up and in the middle of a game. Big Mistake! I felt and heard the scratch happen and immediately thought; uh oh.. I think I just ruined your Call of Duty 2 buddy... sorry! You would have figured I learned my lesson and would be more careful next time I attempted something like that. Yeah.. guess not. Later on back at the Llamma shop I was taking some photos of a 360 when I decided to get a horizontal shot, again it was powered up so I made sure to do it more carefully. I guess that I was not careful enough because I got that distinct vibration and scratch noise again. There was no doubt in my mind what had just happened. I ejected the disc just to see that it was scratched like the first disc in a almost identical fashion. It will prove interesting to see if the reported Microsoft response is true or stands about replacement of the damaged game disks. Here at Llamma we just wanted to know why it was happening.

We started by disassembling of our one of our Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L DVD drives, which happens to be the only drive in any of our 360's. Upon inspecting the laser assembly it was obvious there was only one small area that could have caused this. I applied some silver sharpie marker over the entire black laser assembly housing and reassembled the drive. I threw in the Quake 4 bonus disk and waited for the small jet to take off. After the disc spun up I went through the tilting motion a few times. Video(1.5MB): How to scratch a disc with an Xbox 360(mirrored courtesy of Xbox-Scene.com thanks!). We then disassembled the drive to find what was causing the scratches.

Is this true? Coz if it is, MICROSOFT SUCKS!

Edited by HoodRich ., 31 January 2008 - 03:44 PM.

#2 Socom

Socom

Michael Jackson 1958-2009 What a Legend

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Every DVD Drive scratches disk your not going to get away with it.

BTW: Microsoft Suck anyway, they gave me the RROD sadface

#3 Wayne

Wayne

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

...whoever typed that up must be a complete ****** (No, not you two. I'm saying the guy who typed this 'report' up. :P) Obviously it's going to do some damage if you move the system while the system is on, and a game disc is in. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

#4 Socom

Socom

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

Lol very true, who even thinks of moving a games console while a disc is spinning around. They don't spin slow ya know.

#5 *RatedRKO

*RatedRKO

Tommy is the bomb

• Banned
  • 892 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

I believe its certain type of dvd drive that scratch disks, which xbox and ps3 both have.

#6 Wayne

Wayne

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

I have had my 360 for almost two years, and always have it on it's side (Standing it upwards is bad for me, as I don't want to risk tipping it). Yet, after hours of game play every day, my games don't have any scratches/smudges, and are still just as perfect as the day I got them. And the only time I got the RROD was after I played a 'bad' copy of Perfect Dark Zero. If you don't know what I mean by that, google it. There were basically a bunch of bad copies of Perfect Dark Zero released which caused the RROD after playing it.

But, yeah. This guy was just ranting about his own damn stupidity, nothing more.

#7 DaAfroMan

DaAfroMan

Is can not be configures!

• Code-X Legend
  • 3,415 posts
  • Gallery:View
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

Here's a important fact to know while using any media burnt on a CD/DVD/Blu-ray Disc. The Disc moves inside the drive. Moving the drive from a horizontal position to a vertical position will cause the disc to shift back and forth due to momentum wanting to keep it spinning the same way it has been. In other words the disc WILL rub against anything inside the drive, whether this be a wheel or a sharp point. AKA: Scratches

I'm actually surprised that this isn't a well known fact by now. :huh:

As a little project for you people. Take a paper plate and glue it to the end of a dowel rod. Lift it up and down. Easy right? Try Spinning it and do the same. I guarantee it will resist a little bit more than it did without spinning. Now think of how that plate and rod resembles a Media Disk and Disc Spinner and why your disc would scratch.

#8 CG54_.X

CG54_.X

The Code-X Icon.

• Banned
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

Oh, so the disk spins inside the drive? I thought it would stay in one place and the thing that reads it moves.

Anyways, what's RROD?

#9 Socom

Socom

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

RROD is the Red Ring/s of Death, Basically means that your are attending your consoles funeral. (Other words its broke)

#10 CG54_.X

CG54_.X

The Code-X Icon.

• Banned
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

Oh, the red thing around the ON button? Man, that's stupid. Is there a way to fix it?

Here's the Xbox 360 Song. Made by some stupid 360 hater.

What'll last longer? PS3 or 360?

#11 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

Like a cat.. without a care..

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

depends really

I dont think PS3 has a RROD or anything like it so thats something less to worry about while playing PS3 lol

#12 ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

Code X's Princess

• Code-X Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

View PostJB, on Jan 31 2008, 07:39 PM, said:

depends really

I dont think PS3 has a RROD or anything like it so thats something less to worry about while playing PS3 lol
Actually some Playstation 3 consoles has a similar problem that happens often like the Xbox 360 console though, Xbox 360's problems happens much more often. So far my Xbox 360 from it originally was released, still hasn't messed up on me.

#13 Atheist

Atheist

Grim and Frostbitten!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

Simple rule of thumb:

Don't be f'n stupid and move your console while it's on.

God. ANYTHING that plays discs will do this, just another shot @ 360's because some people can't handle the fact that it's simply better.

#14 DaAfroMan

DaAfroMan

• Code-X Legend
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

The PS3 doesn't have a RROD. It simply dies so you don't know WHAT'S wrong with it. :P

#15 ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

Code X's Princess

• Code-X Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

View PostDaAfroMan, on Jan 31 2008, 08:56 PM, said:

The PS3 doesn't have a RROD. It simply dies so you don't know WHAT'S wrong with it. :P
I said similar, not just like it.

Edited by ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~, 31 January 2008 - 11:00 PM.

#16 DaAfroMan

DaAfroMan

• Code-X Legend
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

I know. And I just cemented what you said.

#17 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

[sarcasm]Man, Microsoft sucks! You'll never believe what happened! I kicked my XBox 360 down the the steps with a game in it and it actually had the nerve to scratch the disc and then the console broke! Damn, I am so disgusted with Microsoft![/sarcasm]

Alright, sarcasm aside, I do equate complaints like the ones in the initial post to be just as stupid as what I wrote had I been serious. Seriously, if you move any console while it's on and expect your discs to not get any scratches then you're a fool. I'm not saying that to anyone here, I'm just speaking in general. Of course a console will scratch the disc if you're moving the console around with it still inside.

View Post~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~, on Feb 1 2008, 12:10 AM, said:

View PostJB, on Jan 31 2008, 07:39 PM, said:

depends really

Actually some Playstation 3 consoles has a similar problem that happens often like the Xbox 360 console though, Xbox 360's problems happens much more often. So far my Xbox 360 from it originally was released, still hasn't messed up on me.
Same here, mine is still working perfectly. It's all just the luck of the draw I guess, but then again I think a lot of the reported RRODs were actually people confusing it with the red ring (four bars instead of three) you get when the input plugs come loose in the back or unplug from the TV. It probably would have been a better idea to make it yellow when that happens or something so that no one would mistake the two.

Edited by TheRob, 31 January 2008 - 11:37 PM.

#18 ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

Code X's Princess

• Code-X Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

View PostDaAfroMan, on Jan 31 2008, 10:22 PM, said:

I know. And I just cemented what you said.
So yea, Playstation 3 does have a similar problem but not high like the Xbox 360.

#19 DaAfroMan

DaAfroMan

• Code-X Legend
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

Basically yes. Any System will have a failure rate. No way to get around it. These systems are produced on a mass scale an you wont necessarily get something the same everytime. Like for instance, Draw 2 lines without a ruler. The lines will be different.

People just need to accept the facts and stop whining is what it all amounts to. :-/

#20 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:01 AM

ok I know everything can break/malfunction etc., I was just trying to say PS3s dont die as often, so less worry
and when you(people ingeneral) dont have a visual change on the console(RROD for example) people tend to not freak as much when it dies, I think its cause RROD you know its dead but otherwise there is hope...but thats just my experience with friends/family PS2's breaking and their 360 RROD

I had the input plug re ring a few weeks ago and I freaked lol but I was smart enough to check everything

#21 CG54_.X

CG54_.X

The Code-X Icon.

• Banned
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:53 AM

I moved my PS2 while the disk was in there. It didn't break, just made a few weird noises.

#22 O-Yama³

O-Yama³

I'm Gay

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:19 AM

View PostHoodRich ., on Jan 31 2008, 10:51 PM, said:

What'll last longer? PS3 or 360?
PS3 for certain, I had a 360 for 28 days because I returned it, why? well it scratched the Halo game that came with it, although I never moved the console, it made more noise than the washing machine, after taking it back I immedietly got a PS3 and what a fǘcking difference, its quiet so quiet it can't even be heard from were I had my 360, so in my opinion the PS3 is far better than the 360 when it comes to reliability.

Now people can only say that the 360 is better than the PS3 because of these reasons;

• XBOX Live
  • Exclusives

Big fǘcking deal, the PS store is filling up with things to download and in my opinion is better than XBOX market place and as for exclusives well that is a problem but with a brand that’s been established around it thats not really a problem as people choose quality and the PS3 is just that. The only reason why the XBOX thinks its unstoppable is because well its been around for a number of years so has the edge in that respect, because people wanted a next gen console and I believe if the PS3 was launched the same time the 360 was the 360 will not be doing so well, just look at PS2 vs XBOX, the PS2 is still selling but what about the XBOX? its dead because people prefer Playstation and I also believe that if there is another price cut for the PS3 the PS2 will slowly go the same way as XBOX and the PS3 will be outselling the 360 and thats already happening in France.

The PS3 uses a powerful new processor called the Cell Broadband Engine to run highly realistic games like "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07," "Metal Gear Solid 4" and "Full Auto 2." It also has a 20GB or 60GB hard drive (depending on the model) and can connect to the Internet either wirelessly, or with an Ethernet hookup so gamers can download new programs and take each other on.

The PS3's chip is the same one IBM is using in a supercomputer it's building for the Department of Energy. That computer is expected to reach speeds of one petaflop, or 1,000 trillion calculations per second.

So for all those saying the 360 is better I PMSL at you! just give it fǘcking time, the 360 has had years to get the recognition it has but PS3 don't even get a look in because you've already judged it.

#23 ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

Code X's Princess

• Code-X Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:21 AM

View PostHoodRich ., on Feb 1 2008, 01:53 AM, said:

I moved my PS2 while the disk was in there. It didn't break, just made a few weird noises.
If you mean pushing the Playstation 2 console on the side gently, then that's ok but never ever tilt a console and move it fast, when the disc is in there and while the console is on.

#24 O-Yama³

O-Yama³

I'm Gay

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:28 AM

View Post~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~, on Feb 1 2008, 10:21 AM, said:

never ever tilt a console and move it fast, when the disc is in there and while the console is on.
The PS3 discs use TDK's Durabis coating that makes it much more resistant to scratching compared to normal CD and DVD media (including 360 duh), but I've never heard of a PS3 game getting scratched NEVER, only when it comes to putting it in the case is it more at risk of getting scratched than having it inside the system, I've moved my console a number of times when playing and no scratches.

#25 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:30 AM

my 360 fell over once(thats why I lay it down) and only minor scratches, the game still worked and everything but moving it def. CAN scratch to death

try moving the PS2 fast, it'll probly scratch to death, if not well what luck you have