Yournext's RPing FAQ

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yournext

Yournext

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 1,533 posts
  • Location:If you want to come home with me,you'll have to buy me a drink first
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

What is an efed and what is roleplaying?

Role playing is playing the role of a character. While role playing can be done in many different forms, in an efed, it is roleplaying as a professional wrestler. There are many different forms of efed role playing and many different ways to do it. No matter what style you do it as, however, it is a "game" and you should strive to be the best at this "game". In this FAQ, I will give you tips on how you can become a better role player.

What are the basic contents of a role play?

---DETAIL---

In every role play, you want to have detail added in there. You want your reader to be able to visualize being in the stadium. Tell me which roleplay would make you, as a reader, get the "feel" of being a stadium when describing a back chop move:

RP A: Joe throws John into the turnbuckle and delivers a back chop to John hard.

RP B: Joe then grabs onto John's arm, and irish whips John into the turnbuckle. As John hits the turnbuckle back-first, Joe takes a step towards John, draws back his arm as if he was going to karate chop him, and then swings it across John's chest, delivering a thunderous back chop as the crowd erupts in a huge "WOOOOO!" John's face squeezes up in pain as he holds his chest over the pink handprint where he was just back chopped.

It's pretty clear that RP B will win the match over RP A any day. Describing exactly what's happening in a match is what everybody wants to read. Let your readers know what they will see.

Let it be known, however, that TOO MUCH detail is also possible. While everybody wants to see some detail and know everything that's going to happen in a match, DON'T OVER DO IT! You don't need 6 paragraphs on a punch to the face to describe how your character's forehead wrinkles when he throws a punch. Keep it practical.

---MARKUPS---

Okay, so they're not a necessity, but adding some color and some markups helps keep your RPs organized, and it's always VERY nice to the person judging your RP to see an organized RP. You can use color, bold, italics, underlining, or special characters to help keep your RP organized. For example, when something is happening with the wrestlers, I italisize the words and put them in brackets (like these:[ ]). If an announcer is talking, I'll make his name in a designated color and bold his name, followed by a colon and what he is going to say in un-modified font. Trust me when I say this - they 100% necessary for a good RP and should be what you're least worried about, but have some kind of pattern or routine with how you mark up your RPs so that the people reading your matches/promos can enjoy them more. Nobody wants to read a bunch of bundled up words.

[Updated 2/16/06]While we're on the subject of making your RPs look better, please remember to use complete sentences, as well. Believe it or not, this actually makes a HUGE difference on how your RP turns out. While this isn't a grammar guru, at least attempting at correct grammar and punctuation really makes your RP a lot better to read.

[Updated 7/11/08]Something else interesting to know about markups. I'm in a psychology class right now, as well as a marketing class. The human eye is attracted to symmetry, especially symmetrical colors. What this means is that having a well organized RP in colors that match, blend together, and are consistent, will make your RP seem much better than it actually is, even if the person reading it doesn't realize it. So keep your RPs consistent, meaning that if you're making JR's voice in bold and green, ALWAYS have his voice in bold and green for the entire thread. Don't change have his words in green in your first post, and then in red your second post. It can make a difference.

---EXCITEMENT---

Okay, so you can have a detailed, colorful RP, but what is that worth if it's a boring match or promo? This is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of your roleplaying. When you roleplay, think to yourself, "If I was watching this on WWE, would I think this was a good match?" You want to make sure that you can keep your reader's attention and not have him fall asleep reading your match/promo. Just always make sure to have big spots, but not too many, and always make sure to make it an interesting match. It doesn't matter how pretty and detailed your RP is if the match sucks.

---REALISM---

Now I understand that WWE gets ridiculously unrealistic sometimes (like, say, the boogeyman), but that doesn't mean that you have to be. This should be easy to do, but you'd be surprised at how many times I've seen some crazy luchadore in some loser efed do a quadriple backflip moonsault off of the first rope or something. Don't do things that would NEVER happen in real life. Yes, wrestling is fake, but it's realism-based. Don't bring in a machine gun and gun somebody down, and don't take one of the little kids from the crowd and hump them. It doesn't happen in WWE, and it sure as hell won't happen in CWF.

And while those are all extremities, keep in mind that even more practical but still unrealistic things are very annoying and will cause you to lose matches. For example, your guy doesn't totally dominate any match. Just because he's 7 foot 4 doesn't mean that your opponent can't hurt him. And just because his name is Flash doesn't mean that he can run at the speed of light. Keep matches realistic - don't do moves that would kill somebody, don't dominate an entire match, and PLEASE, for God's sakes, no humping the crowd members (and YES, I have seen that happen in an efed before).

What kinds of wrestling Role Plays are there?

There are two different kinds of role plays that you can use in this efed. One is an interview segment, or a promo, and the other is a match segment. Being able to use both are VERY important to being good at efedding and Role Playing. In this style of an efed, the match is more important, so we will start off by teaching you how to do a match role play.

Contents of a match Roleplay:

---THE ENTRANCE---

As you know from watching professional wrestling, each wrestler has an entrance. This consists of music, your superstar comming out from backstage, comming down to the ring, and taunting. However, you don't want to simply leave it at that. In order to have a successful RP, or Role Play, for your entrance, you want to add in smaller details to make things more realistic. Just think about everything that happens during an entrance, and make sure to mention the following during your entrance:

*Pre-enrance (music, lights, etc.)

*Your superstar comming out (not that hard, but people don't usually put enough detail into this

*Titantron (you'd be amazed at how many people neglect this)

*Pyros (everybody's favorite, but still, let us know what they look like)

*Crowd reactions (PLEASE don't forget these)

*Name plate (First Name "Nickname" Last Name)

*Ring announcers (THE FOLLOWING CONTEST IS SCHEDULED FOR (?) FALL(S)...MAKING HIS WAY TO THE RING, WEIGHING IN AT (?) POUNDS, FROM (location).....(your name).

*How you enter the ring (slide in, steps, jump over the ropes, go under, have some busty blonde hold down the ropes for you, etc.)

*Your taunts (you decide)

*What you do after your entrance is over (Go to your corner and wait for your opponent, cheap shot your opponent, etc.()

*Other (Sometimes, when a face is comming out and a heel is already out, the heel leaves the ring. Other things can happen, as well. Don't forget these things.)

---FIGHTING---

During a match, think of all of the different things that could happen. Don't do repetitive moves, and keep it realistic. Here are some different things you can do during your match:

*Lockups (always good to get a match started)

*Ropes (throwing into the ropes are my favorite. There are so many things you can do from there, ducking under, dropkicks, etc.)

*Turnbuckles (In early matches, it's punches and back chops, in the late of the match, it will be superplexes and moonsaults. Either way, it's always great to get some turnbuckalege in there.

*Outside of the ring (Announcer tables and poles and stairs....OH MY! Make sure to never forget that there is a 10 count.)

*Big spots (A big spot is a "BIG MOVE". Use them, but don't over do them or else it takes away from when a big move is used.)

*Down time (Sometimes moves are used that makes both men fall down hurt. Every match has a few of these. Don't forget them.)

*Make the Tag! (In a tag match, the face team usually has somebody getting beat up for a LONG time. After he gets beat up for a long time, he gets a big move, and slowly crawls towards his partner to get the tag at the same time his opponent does. His fresh partner then dominates for a short period of time. Use this for realism in tag matches).

Interview Segments:

Interview segments can be just as crucial as a match. You want to have a good promo in order to promote your match and hype it. If people are looking foward to your match, they will read it more carefully and get excitement out of it easier. Here are some ways to have better interview segments:

*Suspense (don't jump right to the case. In WWE, they don't just say it right away. They say hints to hype it. Use that.)

*Use the location (If your event was in Seattle, Washington the week after the Super Bowl and you're a heel, **** off the crowd by wearing a Steelers' jersey or talking about how the Steelers won.)

*Use catchphrases (they work)

Those are just a few things to help hype for your match. A great promo is a promo that makes YOU excited for YOUR OWN MATCH. Learn it and live it.

---------------------

After reading this, you should be ready to start practicing RPing, and hopefully, you will be soon ready to become CWF champion. Practice makes perfect, and remember - have patience with your RPs, preview your posts, and include the four things I have talked about up there in every RP you do.

Edited by Yournext, 11 July 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#2 Shadow™

Shadow™

Code X Join Date: March 15, 2005

• Code-X Member
  • 11,732 posts
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:20 AM

Oh cool. Thanks for this Yournext, this will surely help any who plan to join the CWF.

#3 Yournext

Yournext

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

Updated 2/16/06 - Added more info on the Markups section

#4 Yournext

Yournext

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

Slight update 7/11/08 - Added a little interesting information in the markups section.