Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

Credit: Wrestlezone

F4WOnline.com is reporting that in addition to the announced "WWE '12" video game roster, Diva Trish Stratus will also be a playable character in the game.

t's also being rumored that UFC star Brock Lesnar will be a playable character in the game, as a THQ employee recently noted on Twitter that they were working on a playable Lesnar character for the game.

A new video of gameplay is available below, and reveals that CM Punk's new "Cult of Personality" theme music will be included in the game:

http://www.youtube.c...vbWn4_HFE#at=14

#2 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Administrator
  • Gallery:View

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

And I told myself I wasn't gonna buy it! >_>

#3 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Brock Lesnar would be pure amazing if he's a playable character. Would use him during story mode alot.

#4 TeryoLaw

TeryoLaw

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Guys. What difference does that make? Why is playing as a particular character appealing when the gameplay itself and the core engine is shit as usual?

#5 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Gameplay is only part of the experience.

#6 Blizzard

Blizzard

Ariana is my queen ♡

• Code-X Member
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

I posted this in another thread about the roster.

#7 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

View PostTeryoLaw, on 15 August 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

Guys. What difference does that make? Why is playing as a particular character appealing when the gameplay itself and the core engine is shit as usual?

As showtime said, gameplay is only part of the experience. It is also about suspending disbelief and having fun.

Playing the booker and putting Brock back in the WWE and physically controlling him is a selling point for any wrestling fan who was a fan back when Brock was in the prime of his WWE run. Sure the gameplay could be better and we shouldn't have to settle for what they put out each year but THQ/Yukes are really trying these past few years and giving the fans someone like Brock just fires everyone up for the possibility of being able to control Brock and destroy other characters.

#8 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

View PostRyan, on 16 August 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

As showtime said, gameplay is only part of the experience. It is also about suspending disbelief and having fun.

Playing the booker and putting Brock back in the WWE and physically controlling him is a selling point for any wrestling fan who was a fan back when Brock was in the prime of his WWE run. Sure the gameplay could be better and we shouldn't have to settle for what they put out each year but THQ/Yukes are really trying these past few years and giving the fans someone like Brock just fires everyone up for the possibility of being able to control Brock and destroy other characters.

I sure do like destruction after all.

#9 TeryoLaw

TeryoLaw

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

I still find it to be very weird. You're buying the game just because a certain character is in the game? No offense but that sounds like borderline fanboyism.

However if you have wrestling dreams in the shape of being a booker I can understand it. Otherwise, I just find it weird. I used to be a big wrestling fan when I got those games, but I could never be arsed to play with the wrestler that are in-game. I always wanted to make my own creation and live out my wrestling dreams that way.

That's actually how they make their money? >_> By putting WRESTLERS in the game? No wonder a mediocre product gets sold as much as it does.

#10 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

I get what you are saying and to a degree I guess, what characters are in the game is the main selling point. I mean remember the old Legends of Wrestling games? They were never brilliant in terms of gameplay but they appealed to an audience that wanted to play as those legends - I honestly believe, particularly the third LoW game was as popular as it was due to the roster. It had a ton of old WCW guys on it and that filled a huge void for their remaining fanbase, etc.

The truth is, every wrestling fan is a fanboy to some extent! Everyone has their "fav five" as Booker T would call it. lol. Buying a game because your favourite characters are in it is no different than buying a movie because your favourite actor is in it.

I take no offence from what you said but I just find the whole "fanboy" tag a little stupid an yway. I mean absolutely everyone has something they like and are really into - when it comes to games buying a game because it has a particular character in it is no different than someone buying a war game because it has CoD or MW in the title. I mean even in your own words, you bought the wrestling games because you was simply really into the product at the time - didn't that make you a wrestling fanboy at the time?

But any way, particularly in recent years, people are less worried about content/quality and more worried about "stardom" and "celebrity." I did an interesting module on this at university based on films and film stars but I won't bore anyone with much of that all I'm saying is, in Hollywood they market movies particularly on the stars and around the stars. How many trailers do you see where they list the stars before they even tell you what the movie is called? It is because people will watch a mediocre film if it has a huge star in it. I know it can get complicated when a particular film creates a star, etc, but if you look at 75% of the movies that come out - they are pitching the stars to you not the film. The trailers are solely based on saying "OMG, f'ing look - The Rock is in an action film - go see the Rock say witty lines like this - cue clip - and blow shit up like this - cue clip... and and yeah, this film happens to be called "blah, whatever", go see it."

Video games are going the same route - Mortal Kombats selling point on the PS3 was being able to play exclusively as Kratos from God or War. Most WWE games are sold on the point that it is has your favourite WWE superstars and Legends all in one game! Sports games sell based on the fact that the rosters are up-to-date for the current season and if you look at the NBA 2K series they are marketing it off of being able to relive legendary moments from Jordan's career and/or Larry Bird's, etc.

#11 Future WHC

Future WHC

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

Michael Cole is in it as well.

http://caws.ws/forum/

Go to the WWE '12 section to see him.

By the way, I miss using the F-5 (aka The Verdict) so I'm glad Lesnar is in. :thumbsup:

#12 TeryoLaw

TeryoLaw

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

View PostRyan, on 17 August 2011 - 01:56 AM, said:

Most WWE games are sold on the point that it is has your favourite WWE superstars and Legends all in one game! Sports games sell based on the fact that the rosters are up-to-date for the current season and if you look at the NBA 2K series they are marketing it off of being able to relive legendary moments from Jordan's career and/or Larry Bird's, etc.
But that's terrible. :( Why has it gotten like that in just recent years?

The truth is, every wrestling fan is a fanboy to some extent! Everyone has their "fav five" as Booker T would call it. lol. Buying a game because your favourite characters are in it is no different than buying a movie because your favourite actor is in it.
I wouldn't buy a movie because my favourite actor is in it. I would want to watch it though, unless it seems entirely awful. You do have a point that the two are similiar but I still find a difference between the two.

The main difference being that I would never pay 60 dollars to play a mediocre game no matter WHO is in it or what's it about. :P As for movies, I don't pay to see movies. Of course, if I see a movie with actors that I like Im going to wanna see it. Im going to be appealed. But Im not necessarily going to spend money on it.

I mean even in your own words, you bought the wrestling games because you was simply really into the product at the time - didn't that make you a wrestling fanboy at the time?
No, it made me a wrestling fan. I found the Smackdown games to be genuinely FUN to play and that is why I continued getting them. I enjoyed them a lot. Until Smackdown VS Raw, that's when I started hating the product and I haven't bought a wrestling game since then.

The definition for a fanboy is someone who sticks behind a brand "just because" and no matter what. A blind obsession with something that can not really be explained with logic. That isn't the case with people who just like a certain sport and will want to try a game out because it happens to be about that sport. The level of obsession is what separates the casual fan from a fanboy.

#13 Future WHC

Future WHC

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

I don't think it's a bad thing to have all these wrestlers in that may not be selected much. This year's version looks very up to date. Last year, they added superstars like Shad, Mike Knox, Finlay, etc... Guys that nobody really cared for anyway, but were still put in regardless.

The list of notable legends were good, I suppose, and I thought the glitches were what made it seem like a big let down rather than the cast, but like the saying goes, ya can't have everything.

This year we will get legends who have ACTUALLY wrestled on WWE TV in recent years, and appeared on TV too in a cameo capacity. So it's actually quite good that way. And then there's M. Cole, my punching bag of choice! It's all good. :blush:

Edited by Future WC, 17 August 2011 - 09:32 AM.

#14 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

View PostFuture WC, on 17 August 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

Michael Cole is in it as well.

http://caws.ws/forum/

Go to the WWE '12 section to see him.

By the way, I miss using the F-5 (aka The Verdict) so I'm glad Lesnar is in. :thumbsup:
You couldn't post a direct link dude?

If cole is in, I really wanna see Jerry Lawler in as well.

#15 Future WHC

Future WHC

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

The link timed out for some reason. That's why posting it never worked.

Although, Lawler is in it too. On THQ's new website, Jerry is next to Sin Cara.

#16 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

View PostFuture WC, on 17 August 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

The link timed out for some reason. That's why posting it never worked.

Although, Lawler is in it too. On THQ's new website, Jerry is next to Sin Cara.
LINKS MAN....LINKS!!!
Posted Image

#17 EndZone

EndZone

Insert something witty or clever here.

• Code-X Member
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

Lesnar being in would be okay, I suppose. Honestly, though, I'd rather have more of the active roster, like Trent Baretta. I'm a big fan of his.

#18 Blizzard

Blizzard

Ariana is my queen ♡

• Code-X Member
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

View PostDday141, on 17 August 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

If cole is in, I really wanna see Jerry Lawler in as well.
Posted Image

#19 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:58 AM

View PostTeryoLaw, on 16 August 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

I still find it to be very weird. You're buying the game just because a certain character is in the game? No offense but that sounds like borderline fanboyism.

However if you have wrestling dreams in the shape of being a booker I can understand it. Otherwise, I just find it weird. I used to be a big wrestling fan when I got those games, but I could never be arsed to play with the wrestler that are in-game. I always wanted to make my own creation and live out my wrestling dreams that way.

That's actually how they make their money? >_> By putting WRESTLERS in the game? No wonder a mediocre product gets sold as much as it does.
It's not about dreaming, for me... It's about reliving memories, from when wrestling was most exciting for me. I've never dreamed of being a wrestler or a booker, but I did at one point really enjoy watching wrestling. That was in large part due to the cast/wrestlers, however you wanna look at it. Brock Lesnar, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Kurt Angle... These are all names that bring me back to that point in time. It's a bad case of nostalgia. Sometimes I just buy the game so that I can create my favorite wrestlers from back in the day and watch them walk down the to the ring again, just like old times, but to actually control it while it's happening... It's hard to explain. I'm the same way with the NBA 2K series, now that they've added all the legendary teams it has become a major reason I go out and buy it every year. Everyone has their motives for buying a game, and WWE markets towards all kinds of crowds. But for those who are more so wrestling fans than WWE fans, this may not appeal to them. That's just my take on it.

#20 XxRunning_RiotxX

XxRunning_RiotxX

Code-X Jobber

• Code-X Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

it's official. Brock will be in this year's game. THQ announced that he'll be a legend.

#21 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

View Postdontknowme811, on 09 October 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

it's official. Brock will be in this year's game. THQ announced that he'll be a legend.

View PostDday141, on 17 August 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

LINKS MAN....LINKS!!!
Posted Image

#22 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

yep :)

http://www.prowrestl...e10021207.shtml

#23 Future WHC

Future WHC

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Glad he's in. I mean, he is a wrecking machine of a man! :)