25 replies to this topic

#1 .Jon.

.Jon.

Be Scared

• Code-X Member
  • 4,209 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

Was HBK supposed to do that? Did he do it for Benoit? Or did he just do it for no reason?

im confused.

#2 Alan93

Alan93

Cole World

• Code-X Member
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:50 PM

HBK has been using the crossface alot but m not sure if hes taken it as his own or if hes showing tribute.

Also it may be a tribute since Y2J and Benoit did that exact same thing when they were a tag team ages ago

#3 PLA ICON

PLA ICON

PHOENIX'S BITTER BITTER RIVAL!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

no he's gone on record saying that he's using the move just to use it..someone has to use it..its a wrestling movew who cares who used to use it...soo the one man who isn't afraid of heat from the boys or the boss is hbk...he's doing it so other people feel more comfortable using it as they wish

#4 Socom

Socom

Michael Jackson 1958-2009 What a Legend

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

Maybe Shawn used the crossface because it's a submission move ?

#5 Grizz

Grizz

[Classified Information]

• Code-X Member
  • 5,542 posts
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

Basically what Socom said. Its a submission move. Just cause Benoit used it doesn't mean everybody is doing it for him. If somebody does a bridging suplex is it for Mr. Perfect?

#6 Alan93

Alan93

Cole World

• Code-X Member
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:50 PM

Ok smarty pants their is that option but not trying to go off topic but did u hear the boos Punk got trying to pull off the 3 Amegos

#7 handphone77

handphone77

The Game

• Code-X Member
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:13 AM

HBK did the Crippler Crossface, Sharpshooter, Figure 4 Leglock and Anklelock on Randy Orton during the title match where he was barred from using Sweet Chin Music. It wasn't that long ago. Hope people don't forget so easily.

#8 AntiChrist Superstar

AntiChrist Superstar

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

yea i know

probrably a tribute to the good wrestlers that are gone from WWE

Crossface:Benoit

Ankle Lock-Kurt Angle

Figure 4 Leg Lock-Ric Flair(if it was a tribute,it might be a hint of ric flair leaving anytime soon,Which really isnt a surprise anymore)

Sharpshooter-Benoit,Bret Hart

#9 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

They weren't done as tributes, they were just done for the sake of being done. Doing the Ankle Lock as a tribute to Angle would basically just be promoting a man who jumped ship from WWE to go to TNA and I don't think he would do that for Angle, besides Angle wasn't the only person to use the Ankle Lock in the WWE. Doing the Sharpshooter as a tribute to Bret Hart is just out of the question since the two supposedly still hate each other pretty passionately. Doing the Crossface as a tribute to Benoit doesn't seem likely, especially after they discovered that he murdered his family before taking his own life. Doing the Figure Four Leg Lock as a tribute to Flair is the only one that's actually likely, but he's been doing it for years so it's not new to him.

Edited by TheRob, 19 February 2008 - 09:17 AM.

#10 undertaker ba

undertaker ba

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

While we will never know if they were personal tributes or not i would imagine its safe to say that Beniot and Angle tributes aren't from the WWE.

Now with that said to me they are probably just moves that fit into the situation at the time. This would be more so to The Crossface as it should take alot to get Umaga Eliminated.

#11 Stu

Stu

Code-X Rising Star

• Banned
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

View PostTheRob, on Feb 19 2008, 03:15 PM, said:

They weren't done as tributes, they were just done for the sake of being done. Doing the Ankle Lock as a tribute to Angle would basically just be promoting a man who jumped ship from WWE to go to TNA and I don't think he would do that for Angle, besides Angle wasn't the only person to use the Ankle Lock in the WWE. Doing the Sharpshooter as a tribute to Bret Hart is just out of the question since the two supposedly still hate each other pretty passionately. Doing the Crossface as a tribute to Benoit doesn't seem likely, especially after they discovered that he murdered his family before taking his own life. Doing the Figure Four Leg Lock as a tribute to Flair is the only one that's actually likely, but he's been doing it for years so it's not new to him.
It wasn't done for the sake of being done, it was done because of the story of the match. He couldn't use the super kick, so he had to pull out the best moves of other guys - so he locked in the best submission moves ever, and its hard to argue that - once Hart locked in the Sharpshooter it was over, if Angle grapevined the legs it was over, if Flair gets the figure-four its usually over, when Benoit got the crossface it was over. So he did it to beat Orton because he had nothing else to do.

#12 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

View PostStuLaverty, on Feb 19 2008, 01:54 PM, said:

It wasn't done for the sake of being done, it was done because of the story of the match. He couldn't use the super kick, so he had to pull out the best moves of other guys - so he locked in the best submission moves ever, and its hard to argue that - once Hart locked in the Sharpshooter it was over, if Angle grapevined the legs it was over, if Flair gets the figure-four its usually over, when Benoit got the crossface it was over. So he did it to beat Orton because he had nothing else to do.
I understand that, but I was speaking in general terms, outside of that match he doesn't have to do those moves, so he just does them for the sake of doing them. Well, at least he's expanding his move set, it keeps him fresh.

#13 Stu

Stu

Code-X Rising Star

• Banned
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:39 PM

View PostTheRob, on Feb 19 2008, 08:05 PM, said:

View PostStuLaverty, on Feb 19 2008, 01:54 PM, said:

I understand that, but I was speaking in general terms, outside of that match he doesn't have to do those moves, so he just does them for the sake of doing them. Well, at least he's expanding his move set, it keeps him fresh.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you said. My mistake.

#14 wwfpooh

wwfpooh

See the sig for where good television has gone.

• Code-X Member
  • 6,678 posts
  • Location:Think Wizard of Oz, for that's all the information you're getting! :lol:

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:02 AM

Plus, someone got to do the moves once a wrestler either retires or jumps ship (or heaven forbid, dies), which means someone will have to do the Gogoplata, Tombstone, Chokeslam, Last Ride, Old School, etc. when Mark finally hangs it up.

Edited by wwfpooh, 02 March 2008 - 05:03 AM.

#15 PLA ICON

PLA ICON

PHOENIX'S BITTER BITTER RIVAL!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

umm I gotta disagree there pooh...

Nobody has to do undertakers signature moves...Really nobody should ever do old school ...same with the last ride(the way taker does it not a simple power bomb) and people already use the chokeslam..the chokeslam has been around long before Mark came into the biz and unless we see another guy who takes on the mma style like taker has recently nobody really needs to do that choke...

#16 Alan93

Alan93

Cole World

• Code-X Member
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

Like you say nobody has to do the moves but there will be someone who pays trib to taker

#17 ♣MVPStatus♣

♣MVPStatus♣

Code-X Jobber

• Code-X Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

MVP Does it to
its Called the TTB
Take to The Bank

#18 Alan93

Alan93

Cole World

• Code-X Member
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

yeah but that was on the independant circit i think, anyway thats a good point. its just a move.

#19 wwfpooh

wwfpooh

• Code-X Member
  • 6,678 posts
  • Location:Think Wizard of Oz, for that's all the information you're getting! :lol:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:43 AM

View PostAlan93, on Feb 29 2008, 08:37 PM, said:

Like you say nobody has to do the moves but there will be someone who pays trib to taker
Judas from TNA already does that, considering his character is like a combination of old-school Deadman 'Taker & Kevin Thorn. :P

#20 .Jon.

.Jon.

Be Scared

• Code-X Member
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

i know the crossface is a submission move but c'mon, how many ppl do u see doing that move? Benoit pretty much owned that move.

#21 Grizz

Grizz

[Classified Information]

• Code-X Member
  • 5,542 posts
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

Not many people do it in WWE or TNA but indy promotions they do it a fair amount.

#22 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

View PostDeadly2.0, on Mar 4 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

i know the crossface is a submission move but c'mon, how many ppl do u see doing that move? Benoit pretty much owned that move.
There are a few Japanese wrestlers who use the move as well, in fact some might have been using it even before him. I know Dean Malenko is actually the one who taught it to Chris Benoit. It's too bad Malenko isn't wrestling anymore, he was another master in ring performer in my opinion. It's a shame that the WWE never used him properly.

#23 Sharpshooter93

Sharpshooter93

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

• Code-X Member
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

View PostTheRob, on Mar 4 2008, 09:23 PM, said:

View PostDeadly2.0, on Mar 4 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

There are a few Japanese wrestlers who use the move as well, in fact some might have been using it even before him. I know Dean Malenko is actually the one who taught it to Chris Benoit. It's too bad Malenko isn't wrestling anymore, he was another master in ring performer in my opinion. It's a shame that the WWE never used him properly.

I thought he decided to retire?

#24 wwfpooh

wwfpooh

• Code-X Member
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:08 PM

He did, but did so after being used so poorly by WWE.

#25 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:56 AM

View Postwwfpooh, on Mar 4 2008, 11:08 PM, said:

He did, but did so after being used so poorly by WWE.
Yup, he decided to retire shortly after the WWE stuck him with some lame ass James Bond gimmick. Can't say that I blame him either. He was one of those "No Gimmicks Needed" wrestlers, his wrestling did all the talking for him.