How to tell who is who if you don't know who they are:
KENTA - Yellow/Brown Tights
Ishimori - Yellow/Brown Pants

Ibushi - White/Blue tights
Marufuji - other dude wearing pants that isn't the guy above

[Part 1]
[Part 2]
[Part 3]

So Ibushi Kota is coming from Japan to wrestle for RoH in April when they do shows a show in Chicago. I was thinking of going and heard he was announced as coming and the response of those that knew who he was was like he was a god. I just saw a thread at another board posting this match and I watched it, it was great. Should really check it out, or at least do yourself a favor and watch the Kota spot that they start setting up at about 2:36 in the third video. it is mad crazy and should check it out, great great match either way. I'm going to order two tickets tonight for the Chicago show just so I can go see him. This is what the booker of RoH had to say about him.

We wanted to bring him to the United States ever since we were fortunate enough to see his Budokan Hall match live. This guy is something special and he is something else to see live. The Budokan Hall DVD didn't do justice to what the atmosphere was like in that building that night and it was all cause of Ibushi. It reminded me of Sabu (not that their wrestling styles are similar) in 1994 when you just had to see him live because tape didn't do the excitement he brought justice.

#2 PLA ICON

PLA ICON

PHOENIX'S BITTER BITTER RIVAL!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

umm well i watched all of clips 2 and 3 and honestly...I don't see the hype. They just do alot of cool high spots in this match it seems. This isn't anything I won't/can't see in america from a jack evans or someone in the x-division or any other indy fed. Sure the moves are alot crisper and less sloppy in Japan but really, this guy doesn't do much for me. Kenta and Marufuji are the stand-outs in this match I feel but maybe Ibushi will pull something out at the ROH shows.

#3 Stu

Stu

Code-X Rising Star

• Banned
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

I didn't like it that much either. Cool spots, yes. Psychology? Well, not really. Selling's never been very good in Japan, I feel. I didn't see anything REALLY special. Its good, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't hit great territory for me. Ibushi does look okay, but I still prefer Marafuji.

Also, Japanese wrestling has nothing on Lucha Libre. Now that's awesome.

#4 Freehuey

Freehuey

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 1,972 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Administrator

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

Honestly wouldn't judge the match just based off a few clips, and it is a tag team match, not a ton of psychology can go into it. Sure Jack is a great flyer and comparable to Ibushi but I can't think of any other that you could really compare the style of Ibushi and they are like him. AJ maybe, but they still have different styles.

vs. Madoka

There is a good match of his as well where he sells very well, and sells great for a high flier.

And i have no idea how you can complain about selling in Japan and then go on to talk about how awesome Lucha is.

#5 Stu

Stu

Code-X Rising Star

• Banned
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:50 AM

View PostFreehuey, on Feb 4 2008, 12:07 AM, said:

Honestly wouldn't judge the match just based off a few clips, and it is a tag team match, not a ton of psychology can go into it.

And i have no idea how you can complain about selling in Japan and then go on to talk about how awesome Lucha is.
Loads of psychology can go into tag matches. I don't see where you're getting that from.

Lucha Libre selling is beautiful. The best sellers in the world, I'd say, are from that background. Look at Rey Mysterio - his selling is far beyond most others in WWE. Same with Mistico, he bumps around like crazy, getting treated like a rag-doll and then making the hot comeback. The selling is so perfectly timed, its a major part of any lucha match.

#6 Freehuey

Freehuey

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 1,972 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Administrator

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

What exactly type of mycology's are you talking about then? That match had it, may not have been your "Lets keep him over here and only work on his leg" psychology, but it was the match that determined the winner of a huge tag team tournament. Did you even read the description for background info on the match?

Background story: NTV jr. tag round robin tournament. Marufuji's team are ahead on 6 points, if they win here they have won outright. KENTA's team are on 5, and if they win they jump ahead to 7 and will face the win of Marvin/Suzuki vs Briscoes in a playoff final.

If they didn't playoff that beautifully then I have no idea what type of psychology you want.

Rey may be one of the best now, but during the begining of his career he was no where near the best, he was actually could be pretty damn bad. It took him a long time to get as good as he is today, and in his lucha days he was not near it. Lucha is just fast paced moves, they don't stop to sell the moves like they should. That is one of the main reasons I have never tried to get into full on Lucah because I can't get into the real lucha stuff but I love the Lucha style.