#1 Blizzard

Blizzard

Ariana is my queen ♡

• Code-X Member
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Credit: WrestleNewz

http://www.wrestlene...puts-over-cena/

During an interview with Patrick Lennon of the UK’s Daily Star, WWE Hall of Famer Steve Austin took a few shots at Alberto Del Rio – saying he’s not ready to be WWE champion just yet.

“Well I don’t think Del Rio is ready to carry that belt. It’s ok for a short period of time, give him his first mini title run and try to groom him. He’s still got another year or two to go before he learns the US system.

“He’s a good looking kid and I know he’s been around Mexico and MMA.”

Despite the fact that many WWE fans are sick of John Cena as the face of WWE, Steve Austin says Cena is the most polished performer in WWE and right man for the job.

“When I look at that company right now, John Cena is the guy who anchors it all. Some people get mad because they feel like WWE shove it down your throat, but he’s the main guy! Whether you love to hate him or you love to love him – you gotta respect him.

“I have a lot of respect for John – he’s been carrying the company for several years and he comes into work every day with a smile on his face and does all the promotional work and never complains.”

Austin put over John Cena’s track record of great matches and says he’s probably got several more years in him on top:

“I tell you John Cena has had some great matches with some great guys – sometimes his body of work gets overlooked, the guy has proven himself over and over again. I call a spade a spade and John has done a tremendous job and he’s got a few years left yet. He’ll keep riding that lightening bolt.”
Steve Austin has the right idea!

#2 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

............no, i don't hate John, but no, WWE will lose viewers if they keep shoving Cena as champ down our throats, especially if he broke Flair's 16 time champ record

#3 Sharpshooter93

Sharpshooter93

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

• Code-X Member
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Make Cena a heel and its all good. I just can't stand the goody goody act anymore.

#4 Socom

Socom

Michael Jackson 1958-2009 What a Legend

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

I wanna know why does Cena need a championship. He's made it to Superman level, why won't they give someone else a chance. I know Cena sells but come on he's a 10 time championship and he's just....boring to watch.

#5 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts
  • Gallery:View
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

It might hurt the WWE in the short run but Cena turning heel is the best thing they could possibly do. Look at Orton, he did all he could as a heel and now he's got to ride through a face run to get to the point where a heel turn makes sense again. Cena is this in reverse, he's done all he can as a face now he needs to go through a heel run to get back to a point where it is acceptable for him to be a face again.

There's only so long you can be the good/bad guy. Cena has been the good guy way too long. No one buys it any more, no one sees him as legit any more.

You can still be the biggest star in the business and be the bad guy though. Darth Vader is literally the face of Star Wars, yet he is the biggest antagonist in the entire universe for the majority of it all. Cena could do the same - sometimes being the biggest asshole is much more memorable than being the nicest guy when it comes to entertainment and while merch sales might take a hit, I'm sure the product would actually have a bit of a boost.

Turning Cena heel turns everything on its head in the WWE, you suddenly have to create new mainevent faces to fued with him which in the long run should even out the merch sales andin the process create a new generation of superstars at the top.

One of the biggest problems for me with Cena is his heel opponent is interchangeable. It doesn't matter who you put against him the end result is the same, the story is the same, everyone gets buried. Plus, you can't create heels by fueding people against Cena because people don't instantly want to boo whoever faces him any more due his own mixed reaction.

Turn him heel, get everyone booing him - the grown ups aren't suddenly going to be won over by him, they'll still boo, give him something nasty to say/do and the kids will soon turn on him - they're the marks, they'll have no choice but to boo him if you give them the right reaon and suddenly you have instant faces. When you have the entire arena cheering for the guy facing John Cena no matter who they are, you've suddenly got superstar reactions for talent who wouldn't have gotten that before, which gives them a platform to build upon. Given the right storylines you could create serious stars out of guys like Morrison and Kofi Kingston - even guys like Ziggler could become sudden faces and get other with the right tweak, it just opens way more options.

After Del Rio what heel is left for Cena? You've got 6 months until Cena's ultimate career defining match against the Rock and in that time you've got no one else to do anything with Cena - turn him heel! Even if it is only for 6 months, make CM Punk and Orton the constant faces of the company - have the Rock as the ultimate hero - it changes everything up, it makes everything different!

Look what turning Hogan heel did for WCW? Sure they blew it in the end by overspending and giving talent too much power alongside poor booking but for a good few years that was the catalyst for WCW turning white hot.

#6 Blizzard

Blizzard

Ariana is my queen ♡

• Code-X Member
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:09 AM

View PostRyan, on 02 October 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

No one buys it any more, no one sees him as legit any more.
I do.