31 replies to this topic

#1 E Kerr

E Kerr

Who The **** Is MKA?

• Code-X Member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

OMG!!!! IT IZ SO EMPTYZ HERE!

So, to discuss, the greatest 'alternative' album of 2008... There's only a few candidates for me cos it's not been about metal so much, more old goth and punk shit... SISTERS OF MERCY... anyways... I'll post my favourite albums soon as ****. But, I might as well wait a reply or two to see if theirs any big ball need....

#2 Lenox

Lenox

Turn it up loud and feel the ambiance.

• Code-X Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

For me, the best albums of the year in the top three order is:

1. AC/DC - Black Ice
2. All That Remains - Overcome
3. Metallica - Death Magnetic

#3 O-Yama³

O-Yama³

I'm Gay

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

Don't really buy many albums but here are my top 3, in order:

Guns n' Roses: Chinese Democracy
Metallica: Death Magnetic
SlipKnot: All Hope is Gone

#4 The Fallen Angel

The Fallen Angel

Bite Size 3 Musketeers

• Code-X Legend
  • 12,878 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

Not In Order

Children of Bodom: Blooddrunk
Slipknot: All Hope Is Gone
Metallica: Death Magnetic
Cancer Bats: Hail Destroyer

#5 E Kerr

E Kerr

Who The **** Is MKA?

• Code-X Member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

Hmm, I guess I'll chip in....

Death Magnetic (of course)

and, I don't know why people have been leaving it out....

Cavalera Conspiracy

Testaments new one kills as well...

Im probably missing out one or two that I really like but can't specify right now

#6 Lenox

Lenox

• Code-X Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

Forgot about Slipknots new CD, that bumps down Metallica. That was an amazing CD.

#7 Cowboy King

Cowboy King

Ashley's Anchor

• Code-X Member
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

no particular order...

Slipknot- All Hope Is Gone
All That Remains- Overcome
MetallicA- Death Magnetic
AC/DC- Black Ice

and of course/....

Bullet For My Valentine- Scream Aim Fire/Scream Aim Fire Deluxe Edition

Chinese Democracy Sucks really bad...idk why anyone would put that on their list but its
their opinion and i respect that

#8 E Kerr

E Kerr

Who The **** Is MKA?

• Code-X Member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

I HATE THE ALBUM SO MUCH!

Just one song I can't help but sorta ooh to is Shacklers Revenge there's something amazingly annoying about it...

#9 Cowboy King

Cowboy King

Ashley's Anchor

• Code-X Member
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

yea most def.

i can't believe they actually put that song on rockband 2

#10 E Kerr

E Kerr

Who The **** Is MKA?

• Code-X Member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

You can totally tell every Buckethead riff in the album, it's completely hilarious...

It sounds like a contempory soundtrack to Mortal Kombat half the time :S

#11 Cowboy King

Cowboy King

Ashley's Anchor

• Code-X Member
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

lol...i think buckethead is an amazing guitarist but he doesn't belong with GnR...its just not the same without slash

#12 E Kerr

E Kerr

Who The **** Is MKA?

• Code-X Member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:04 AM

The weird thing is, i do prefer it with Slash, I've never been big on GNR, couldn't help but get dfragged into the dismal hype on Chinese Democacy.. But, I can't stand Velvet Revolver... And I love Scott Weiland's old band, Stone Temple Pilots, who I believe have just finished a reunion tour...

#13 King¦Mickey

King¦Mickey

i dunno lol

• Code-X Member
  • 2,457 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Jesus, did 2008 begin in August or something? All I see are mega hyped albums for the latter half of the year...
I'll exclude Death Magnetic and Black Ice, seeing as everyone has them. I do like them though.
Oh, and Chinese Democracy and All Hope Is Gone were terrible albums, just an FYI for you guys.

Runnin' Wild - Airbourne
The Black Mages III: Darkness and Starlight - The Black Mages
Ultra Beatdown - DragonForce
Heart On - Eagles of Death Metal
GNV FLA - Less Than Jake
The Slip - Nine Inch Nails
Watershed - Opeth
Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs

Forgot about Slipknots new CD, that bumps down Metallica. That was an amazing CD.

Clearly not amazing enough.

#14 E Kerr

E Kerr

Who The **** Is MKA?

• Code-X Member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

It's probably just cos' those are the newest (and kinda the biggest) so they leave more of an imprint, Metallica could have been released in March, still be on everyones list cos' of the imprint it's left.

However, you did remind me about the most recent Disturbed - awesome.

Lol, I was sure Runnin' Wild was released last year, but I now see that that was only in Australia, fail. (Strange cos' I'm away in the UK)

#15 Lenox

Lenox

• Code-X Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

Alright King Mickey,just a few things, GNR was horrible I'll give ya that, AHIG though, was one of the best albums this year. I don't get why everyone hates it so bad. Its just like Slipknot, which is the main reason I've heard people say. People say it doesn't sound anything like Slipknot would do, but that whole album is their style of music.

Not many noticable albums were even released earlier this year. Didn't even know LTJ released a new album this year.

Dragonforce and Eagles of Death Metal are both really horrid bands. Dragonforce can't make it through a live show without messing it up. Let alone make it sound good on an album. They need to slow it down, and actually make it playable for the band. They need to know that just becuase its fast, doesn't mean its good. Eagles of Death Metal just sounds horrible(Band as a whole, not the name of the band), I'll leave it at that.

Runnin' Wild was a good album just not the best of the year material. The Slip was the same way. It was mediocre at best. Their best albums were their early ones.

Opeth just isn't my style of music. I don't like the super heavy stuff.

And I like White Stripes better then The Raconteaurs. So they just don't make it that high on my list.

Edited by Reap, 18 December 2008 - 04:15 PM.

#16 King¦Mickey

King¦Mickey

i dunno lol

• Code-X Member
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

View PostReap, on Dec 18 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

AHIG though, was one of the best albums this year. I don't get why everyone hates it so bad. Its just like Slipknot, which is the main reason I've heard people say. People say it doesn't sound anything like Slipknot would do, but that whole album is their style of music.

Slipknot is teenage hot topic metal, end of story. Corey Taylor's screaming voice, has just gotten stale. Honestly, if they stopped trying so hard, and stopped being just a gimmick band, they might have some success. Hell, Snuff is a great ******* song. So they're capable of sounding good, but the masks and their legions of 13 year old, Hot Topic going fans hold them down. I mean, yeah, I loved Slipknot when I was like 13 or so. Then I grew up and got taste.

Not many noticable albums were even released earlier this year. Didn't even know LTJ released a new album this year.

It's quite good.

Dragonforce and Eagles of Death Metal are both really horrid bands. Dragonforce can't make it through a live show without messing it up. Let alone make it sound good on an album. They need to slow it down, and actually make it playable for the band. They need to know that just becuase its fast, doesn't mean its good. Eagles of Death Metal just sounds horrible(Band as a whole, not the name of the band), I'll leave it at that.

1. Dragonforce sucking live is a myth. Yeah, sure, if you watch shitty videos on youtube, any band sucks live. They've actually quite improved live. A live show for ANY band is totally different when you're actually there. Youtube videos of live shows are missing the ******* point. If you had listened to Ultra Beatdown you'd see there ARE some slow songs and some slow sections, and it was a very impressive album. But when it geats right down to it, they're fast. They aren't gonna change cause some people think they're too fast. The band has said themselves that they play how they want. There's nothing wrong with being fast.

2. Eagles of Death Metal to me are just pure, fun, rock n roll. Yes their name is misleading, I don't mind it. I really don't know how they can sound horrible to anyone who likes rock. It's certainly hard to get people to listen to them though, because non death metal fans are scared of them and death metal fans are disappointed by them. But in the end they're just a rock and roll band, and I like a band that can be fun and not take things so ******* seriously like a lot of bands.

Runnin' Wild was a good album just not the best of the year material. The Slip was the same way. It was mediocre at best. Their best albums were their early ones.

Runnin' Wild is a great CD, not the best but certainly up there in the top ten. It's just good rock and roll.

Opeth just isn't my style of music. I don't like the super heavy stuff.

Ok...Yet you like the Slipknot CD. Opeth has plenty of soft tracks, or tracks that are a mix. This statement is just...weird.

And I like White Stripes better then The Raconteaurs. So they just don't make it that high on my list.

In no way are White Stripes better than the Racontuers. Also, Meg White is crazy. That's not too good for touring and stuff like that.

Another one I forgot was Disturbed's new album, Indestructible (Damn E Kerr for typing faster than me lol). I also forgot about HURT new album The Re-Consumation.

I have this thing with Disturbed where I seem to only like every other album they release. Loved Sickness, didn't like Believe. Love 10k Fists, didn't like Indestructible. Just didn't really wow me like everyone else seemed to be.

Also, how did I remind you of Disturbed, Kerr?

#17 .ęνo.

.ęνo.

Code-X Main Eventer

• Code-X Legend
  • 5,724 posts
  • Gallery:View

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

I haven't heard a whole lot of new albums this year, but for me:

1. Metallica - Death Magnetic
2. Acca dacca - Black Ice
3. Disturbed - Indestructable

#18 Ollie The Magic Bum

Ollie The Magic Bum

BALL DON'T LIE!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:51 PM

Soulfly - Conquer
That was my favorite of the year.

#19 Sharpshooter93

Sharpshooter93

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

• Code-X Member
  • 9,318 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:02 AM

Saliva's Cinco Diablo is awesome. Can't stop listening to it.

#20 E Kerr

E Kerr

Who The **** Is MKA?

• Code-X Member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

View PostKing¦Mickey, on Dec 16 2008, 11:22 PM, said:

Also, how did I remind you of Disturbed, Kerr?

Don't know, just tried harder to think of albums released before august :S

#21 enigmaxtreme

enigmaxtreme

Code-X Rookie

• Code-X Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

Scream Aim Fire- Bullet For My Valentine

#22 red_medicine

red_medicine

Ranger.

• Code-X Member
  • 3,484 posts
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

my picks:

MESHUGGAH - obZen album of the year hands down
Opeth - Watershed
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
The Acacia Strain - Continent
Underoath - Lost in the Sound of Separation (not a big UO fan but its a good album)
The Fall of Troy - Phantom on the Horizon EP (sure its not an album but its great)
Portugal. The Man - Censored Colors

#23 O-Yama³

O-Yama³

I'm Gay

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

Just read everyones and see alot of hate for the Gn'R Album, I honestly cant see why anybody hates it, there are 1 or 2 tracks I don't really like but to be honest the reason why I love this album is because of Axl, his voice is amazing and the fact I'm a Gn'R fan may be another factor why I like it so much, my one hate is the fact that slash isn't in it, I heard he was but I guess that was an advertising thang and you can sooo tell hes not, I guess their new album is like marmite...your either love it or hate it, now I hate marmite but I love Chinese democracy, I'm just hoping they reform.

Corey Taylor's screaming voice, has just gotten stale.
So true, I'm a slipKnot fan but I have to agree with you, I also think Axl Rose's voice is alittle retro hearing what is out these days, but his voice has to be the best voice in music, if only the rest of the band were as good.

#24 E Kerr

E Kerr

Who The **** Is MKA?

• Code-X Member
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

What I personally think it is, and one of the main factors I don't like it, is it doesn't have any 'immortal riffs' or 'timeless' whatever. Everyone knows Paradise City or Welcome To The Jungle when they hear it. Shacklers Revenge and the title track are the two most enjoyable... By a country mile :P Just my opinion, as is yours :D

#25 .ęνo.

.ęνo.

Code-X Main Eventer

• Code-X Legend
  • 5,724 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

I've always been a gunners fan, but I'm not even gonna listen to Chinese Democracy, you can't really call it a GNR album because Axl is the only original member that contributed to the album. Heck, Velvet Revolver is more GNR then they are. Saying that I'm not gonna knock the album either. The main reason I ever liked the gunners is because of the catchy riffs and good drum rhythms, the fact they had a good singer was just a bonus.