• Code-X Legend
  • 12,878 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

Credit: Gamingring.com

Gamingring Impressions of iMPACT!

While the build we played was far from complete, animation wise or gameplay wise, we were impressed. For example, there was one sequence where me and Charles traded about 3 reversals back to back to back, with Charles finally nailing the huge German suplex. One of the things I spoke with the developers from Midway about is reversals and chain combination wrestling. Already in place with this build is the striking combinations, but what wasn’t shown but was promised to be in was the chain combo wrestling. Where for example you lock up in the standard lock up, and from there you proceed to put your opponent in a head lock and from there you can perform different chain moves. 60% of the almost 2500 moves will be performed from the standard lockup. Everyone I spoke with from the TNA Superstars to the development team from Midway all said that the classic AKI Nintendo 64 wrestling game WWF No Mercy had a huge influence on the direction that this title is taking. Everything down to the shorter entrances to the actual gameplay where there is a weak and strong grappling system. Honestly, I felt the vibe from playing the game. Basically, Midway is attempting to make TNA Impact the WWF No Mercy for the next generation consoles.

#2 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

I won't argue against it, but one thing that made No Mercy so great was all the hacks released for it.

#3 'Demon' Dave Shocker

'Demon' Dave Shocker

Code-X Jobber

• Code-X Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

i'll be gutten if they ONLY have short entraces, now I'm a BIG fan of the THQ/AKI N64 Gamesubut was disapointed with the short entrances on No Mercy. Even though No Mercy is among my top fav wrestling game (among the top is No Mercy VPW2 and FPWD lol) it seemed the game was FAR from complete, from what I've been told the game last final stages were rushed as PSX had relised SD2 at this point and N64 needed thier WWE game out thier.

I wish there was a way to inform Midway to have COMPLETE entrances instead of cut ones :'(

#4 ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

Code X's Princess

• Code-X Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

View PostTheKGBIsAfterYou, on Oct 22 2007, 03:44 PM, said:

I won't argue against it, but one thing that made No Mercy so great was all the hacks released for it.
Your wrong that wasn't the only thing that made No Mercy so great.

#5 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

Hence me saying one thing, insinuating that it is a big reason, but not the only reason.

#6 Spleenishly-Green

Spleenishly-Green

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

View Post'Demon, on Oct 22 2007, 04:45 PM, said:

i'll be gutten if they ONLY have short entraces, now I'm a BIG fan of the THQ/AKI N64 Gamesubut was disapointed with the short entrances on No Mercy. Even though No Mercy is among my top fav wrestling game (among the top is No Mercy VPW2 and FPWD lol) it seemed the game was FAR from complete, from what I've been told the game last final stages were rushed as PSX had relised SD2 at this point and N64 needed thier WWE game out thier.

I wish there was a way to inform Midway to have COMPLETE entrances instead of cut ones :'(

Yeah. I don't know what they are thinking. If anything, what they should "AT LEAST" do, is cut the entrances short the way "THQ/Yukes" used to do it for the "WWF Smackdown!" (Not "WWE Smackdown vs. Raw".) before they starting mo-capping full entrances. That would make more sense. But, even still. If they are going to work on a video game for about as long as Rockstar work on their Grand Theft Auto video games, then their should be able to be some full entrances with no problem.

#7 Driver

Driver

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:53 AM

Entrances are... meh. I could care less about entrances if the gameplay is solid. Entrances and new match types and stuff are fluff if the core gameplay isn't good. And everything I've heard (except for people here who love to assume things not yet in evidence or jump conclusions based on a video of a 60% finished game) has been positive. So as good as full (and customizable) entrances would be, I'm willing to make the sacrifice for a solid core of gameplay. If they do well then they'll have next year to collect feedback and improve. IMHO anything's better than buying the same game from THQ for the fourth year in a row.

Edited by Driver, 23 October 2007 - 09:54 AM.

#8 KarmaRocketX

KarmaRocketX

Makes examples by not becoming one.

• Code-X Member
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

View PostDriver, on Oct 23 2007, 08:53 AM, said:

IMHO anything's better than buying the same game from THQ for the fourth year in a row.

That opinion would sound a lot better if THQ and Yukes didn't actually do such a good job of improving the game overall this year. <_<

I'm sick of this "same game every year" crap. People just say that out of complete ignorance, without even remotely acknowledging how far the game has come each year, and from 07 to 08, especially.

Something tells me you need to know what you're talking about before you say it. I don't feel like finding all the places where I said it and re-posting them, but I counted all the new additions in this years Smackdown game and they total at least over 15 new additions from what i've found so far. I think I counted 17, but I lost track recently.

Not to mention that everything I've seen from this Impact game seems terrible and keeps on disappointing me very much.

Also, "anything's better than THQ's game"? That statement would also carry a lot more weight if there was a single wrestling game available in the last 4 years that even came anywhere CLOSE to THQ's level of quality this whole tiime. <_<

The only way i'd ever buy Impact was if they shot the price down to $29.99 for the next gen consoles. It should be a bargain game becuase it hardly compares to SDvR08. Actually, Impact hardly even compares to Fire Pro Wrestling Returns from the look of it. Which is the #2 game i'll be picking up.

#9 abys

abys

Code-X Superstar

• Code-X Member
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

Hopefully it won't play like no mercy. From the videos i saw of the gameplay it looked like it played more like a more fast paced warzone. Hopefully it does play like that. I will be mad if it played like no mercy but would still play it as it has tna wrestlers and you customize the wrestlers. The one reason no mercy was so great was it was very customable even though the gameplay itself was not very good. It had a great roster and you could replace wrestlers and if you use every space for a different wrestler then technically you could have over 100 wrestlers! The one thing i find annoying with no mercy is the fact i cannot make up my mind so then those extra wrestlers although awesome to have make it really hard to make a decision for choosing a wrestler. That is the one thing i don't like about the new firepro. I like having a big roster but it gives me a hard time choosing a wrestler.

Edited by abys, 23 October 2007 - 01:25 PM.

#10 Spleenishly-Green

Spleenishly-Green

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:47 AM

View PostKarmaRocketX, on Oct 23 2007, 10:48 AM, said:

View PostDriver, on Oct 23 2007, 08:53 AM, said:

IMHO anything's better than buying the same game from THQ for the fourth year in a row.

That opinion would sound a lot better if THQ and Yukes didn't actually do such a good job of improving the game overall this year. <_<

I'm sick of this "same game every year" crap. People just say that out of complete ignorance, without even remotely acknowledging how far the game has come each year, and from 07 to 08, especially.

Something tells me you need to know what you're talking about before you say it. I don't feel like finding all the places where I said it and re-posting them, but I counted all the new additions in this years Smackdown game and they total at least over 15 new additions from what i've found so far. I think I counted 17, but I lost track recently.

Not to mention that everything I've seen from this Impact game seems terrible and keeps on disappointing me very much.

Also, "anything's better than THQ's game"? That statement would also carry a lot more weight if there was a single wrestling game available in the last 4 years that even came anywhere CLOSE to THQ's level of quality this whole tiime. <_<

The only way i'd ever buy Impact was if they shot the price down to $29.99 for the next gen consoles. It should be a bargain game becuase it hardly compares to SDvR08. Actually, Impact hardly even compares to Fire Pro Wrestling Returns from the look of it. Which is the #2 game i'll be picking up.

Hold on. Did you say #2? I thought you said that WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns were neck-and-neck. I didn't know Fire Pro was #2 now, though. Well, I guess you found your wrestling video game niche. But, if that's how you feel........

#11 The Rob

The Rob

The People's Heel

• Code-X Member
  • 3,846 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:15 AM

Honestly, I still prefer AKI's wrestling titles over all current ones, and there are tons of people who, like me, wish to see AKI come back and make a kick ass wrestling game. The developers know this, so every time a new wrestling title comes out they promise that it'll play like No Mercy and that it was heavily influence by No Mercy, but they always fall short in the end. Wrestlemania 21 is a huge example of this as they claimed constantly that it would be like No Mercy for next millennium, but the damn thing turned out to be almost unplayable with all of it's control problems and glitches. DoR came kind of close, but overall I didn't think it was quite a good either. It's because the developers can't control themselves and feel the need to put their own twists on it and usually end up making something sub-par. It's pretty obvious to me now that the only way we're going to get something that truly plays like an AKI wrestling title is if AKI themselves step back up to the plate and give us another one.

As far as the entrances go, it's a bullshit comment to say that they did it because they were inspired by No Mercy. They had to cut entrances down due to hardware limitation of the N64, but in this day and age there is no real excuse. If AKI took advantage of the Power Pak then they might have been able to squeeze more out of the system, but who's to say that they weren't going to in their next game? After all a sequel to WWF No Mercy was in the early stages of development when it was shelved in early 2001 because Nintendo began to phase out the Nintendo 64.