• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Xbox 720 and PS4 not out until 2014
Credit: TheTechGame.com

The next consoles from Sony and Microsoft will not launch until three years' time, predicts GameStop. Senior executives from the US retail giant made the claim during a series of investor meetings, according to financial research firm Baird. A statement read: "Management does not expect new hardware consoles from Microsoft and Sony until 2014; however, a successful launch of Nintendo's Wii U in 2012 could add pressure to accelerate a hardware refresh. "GameStop is also upbeat on the coming launch of Sony's PlayStation Vita handheld gaming device, which has a $249 price-point within the reach of many gamers. "As for the motion controller launched a year ago, management indicated more software is needed to maintain sales momentum."

http://www.mcvuk.com...til-2014/082305

#2 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

Like a cat.. without a care..

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

Sounds good. I feel like the 360 (as well as the PS3, but I don't have one) still has a lot more to offer and I'm not really wanting to buy an upgrade for at least a couple more years anyway.

#3 Socom

Socom

Michael Jackson 1958-2009 What a Legend

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Same I don't really see what they can improve on tbh. The graphics are fine and features are fine.

#4 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

I hate these kinds of stories because their just all predictions and rumors. There's no way on earth anyone could know the exact day, or even year the next gen consoles would be released by now. I'm not even thinking about it since the PS3 first came out with a $600 price tag. What the hell a PS4 gonna cost? A grand?

#5 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Administrator
  • Gallery:View

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

The only improvements I can foresee are speed improvements... I mean really what else is there, we already got TV, Netflix, Hulu, Facebook, Twitter, Zune... The list goes on. I guess Microsoft could try multitasking, as in be able to stream music and play a game at the same time, or pause a game, watch something on Netflix, and go back to gaming without having to start over. Ok that's all. Don't want to be suing Microsoft later for my ideas. :P

#6 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:41 AM

Well I can pretty much make a safe bet in saying Sony is going to be using most of Kinect's ideas and put them into the PS4. Voice recognition, motion control gaming, those are actually pretty good features that the Kinect has. To be able to just say "Xbox, play game" or "Xbox, search Toy Story 3", is pretty sick as it makes things go by so much faster than typing it out.

But one of the many things there going to somehow implement, and what I question alot is, how are the going to continue on with PSN/XBL with the next gen? Trophies and achievements has to carry over somehow, since that's the case, wouldn't it be logical that the next gen will also support backwards compatibility?

#7 Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Insert something here

• Code-X Legend
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:38 AM

I understand where both MS and Sony are coming from, They both want to extend the life of their consoles through Motion Control and other devices along with the integration with FB, Twitter etc etc, But the problem is that the hardware in both consoles is severely outdated. It doesn't give the devs the freedoms to try out newer hardware due to the limitations of the consoles seeing as they are hugely popular.

#8 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts
  • Gallery:View

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

It's all about money. even if the consoles were good to go and fine for another 10 years, at some point the sales will start to fall away and decline because everyone who ever intended to buy one of these consoles will have one.

When it gets to the point where Sony/Microsoft aren't selling the expected number of units expect production to speed up and a new console to be coming out. Because when a new console is released people will flock to buy it and then everyone will eventually catch up and buy the new product as well. When that starts to decline a new console will go into production... rinse, repeat. As one starts to build there's the other realsies they better build there's to compete and the console war commences.

It is exactly why apple releases a new ipod and iphone series every year, sometimes with the smallest of improvements - because they know people will flood to buy it making it hugely profitable during its first few months and then everyone else starts to catch up over the course of the year and eventually upgrade and as soon as sales fall below predictions a new module goes into production.

I don't think Microsoft are far away from this point now with the 360 either, it has sold a ton of units during the lifespan of the product and surely sales of the console can't be as lofty as they was. Reports have already said that a new xbox is in development, so I can see why websites are speculating about when a new console will launch. I'd have my money on 2013 if I was betting but some people are saying as early as xmas 2012.