• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 C. Rich

C. Rich

1-24/L=NDEV

• Code-X Member
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

Anyone who listens to rap music or makes rap music and has MSN...add me.
Please dont add me if your ignorant about rap music. (i.e. You like Soulja Boy)
But if your a serious hip hop fan or artist, add me on MSN.

richardkc3@comcast.net

#2 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

This is the only real hip-hop I know:

#3 TheRisingShadow

TheRisingShadow

wut

• Code-X Member
  • 7,247 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

LMAO Dday.

Umm....I like Waynes new song Prom Queen?

I like....TURN MY SWAG ON!!! :P Kidding.

#4 Mizery Made

Mizery Made

./\/\izery /\/\ade.

• Code-X Member
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

View PostTheRisingShadow, on Apr 3 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

Wayne ruined a great instrumental with his horrible vocals...

#5 TheRisingShadow

TheRisingShadow

wut

• Code-X Member
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

View PostMizery Made, on Apr 3 2009, 07:23 PM, said:

View PostTheRisingShadow, on Apr 3 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

Wayne ruined a great instrumental with his horrible vocals...
Ehh whatever I know a lot of people hate it and a lot of people like it. It's starting to get boring though..... :(

#6 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

View PostC. Rich, on Mar 26 2009, 12:36 PM, said:

Please dont add me if your ignorant about rap music. (i.e. You like Soulja Boy)

How is liking certain rappers being ignorant about hip-hop?? Now thats an ignorant statement right there..yall be killing me wit that shit..

Edited by D_Money, 04 April 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#7 C. Rich

C. Rich

1-24/L=NDEV

• Code-X Member
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:29 AM

Because if you like soulja boy then apparently your taste of music is bad.
Almost all the "rap" you see on TV or hear on the radio nowadays is garbagio and really isn't even rap. Its pop.

Soulja Boy, Hurricane Chris, T-Pain, Bow Wow, Flo Rida, Yung Joc, are all pop artists. I cant even put them in the hip hop category...or call them "rappers"..they're nothing more than pop stars.

So, no. Its not an ignorant statement. I prefer to have thought provoking conversations about thought provoking rappers with thought provoking lyrics. In other words, I want my music to make me think and appreciate it. But people who like Soulja Boy are too lazy to think. Therefore that makes them ignorant and I dont like that. People who like soulja boy most likely switch their favorite artist weekly or whenever another "hot" song comes out. Hip Hop Heads on the other hand have artists that they like and favorites that hardly ever switch.

#8 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

:mellow: Wow! Some of the shit you said is not true...Nobody that I know of ever switch their favorite hip-hop artists just because of one hot track..do u expect everybody to like the exact same hip-hop artists that u like?? Hell naw...everybody listens to what sounds good to them...so your point still doesn't really make sense to me...but whatever...all I know is..I am not being ignorant about hip-hop just because I choose to listen to the artists that I like and not the ones that u "want" me to like...I don't give a f**k what anybody have to say about that...I like what I like...hip-hop is hip-hop...I don't have a problem at all wit u disliking Soulja Boy, Wayne, or anybody else that I listen to...but u acting like u have a problem wit ppl choosing to listen to what they like witout saying that our taste in music is bad...nobody has bad taste in music because everybody listens to different shit...Soulja Boy is hot and popular out in Chicago on the south side where I'm at...everybody listens to him...so u gone say the whole south side of Chicago has bad taste in music??

#9 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

The Official Un-Official Code-X Legend

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

View PostD_Money, on Apr 5 2009, 10:19 AM, said:

:mellow: nobody has bad taste in music because everybody listens to different shit...Soulja Boy is hot and popular out in Chicago on the south side where I'm at...everybody listens to him...so u gone say the whole south side of Chicago has bad taste in music??

That is all subjective, I mean you could argue that people have bad taste in music because there are certain ways in which you judge an emcee in order to see how good he is. I mean, there has been a lot of wack artist/songs threw out the history of hip-hop that got big because they had a relatively catchy song. (example: http://www.youtube.c...?v=cj9_yW8tZxs) The Humpty Dance is a terrible song lyrically. I mean he just has random lines in there that don't make any sense (example: I like my Oatmeal lumpy). You go outside and start blasting that song people will look at you like you're a clown. But back in the day that was the jam. Just because no one bumps a certain artist doesn't mean hes bad, and just because everyone bumps a certain artist doesn't mean hes good.

#10 Mizery Made

Mizery Made

./\/\izery /\/\ade.

• Code-X Member
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

#11 C. Rich

C. Rich

1-24/L=NDEV

• Code-X Member
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Mizery beat me to it lmao

D_Money, you lookin at my point all wrong. I aint got no problem with people who like Soulja Boy or any of the other pop artists Ive mentioned. But if you're gonna say Soulja Boy is hip hop, you're crazy. I guess the point Im tryin to make is if the song isnt clever, thought provoking, or inspirational and its just some dumbass teenager makin up stupid dances and screamin then I consider it garbage.

But I really dont wanna sit here and debate this topic. The point of this thread was for the hip hop heads to add me on MSN.

#12 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'll sit here and debate for Richard if need be, I have very little things to do with my time, mind as well prove a point.

#13 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

Yes let's debate. I like listening to a group called The Lonely Island and I believe they are real hip-hop artists. Here are some lyrics from one of there most inspirational songs:

I'm riding on a dolphin, doing filps and sh**
This dolphin's splashing, getting everybody all wet
But this ain't Seaworld, this is real as it gets
I'm on a boat, motherf*****, don't you ever forget

I believe the dolphin can represent trials and tribulations during somebodys life and riding it means that you have conquered all of the problems you have faced. The boat can also represent an easy to way to escape to a place where you feel most relaxed to get away from your problems. Don't you agree Devil?

#14 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

No, not at all.

#15 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

View PostMC Coemgen, on Apr 6 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

No, not at all.
What the? No? I fail to see your logic good sir! To furthur prove my point, I dare you to watch this video and still deny my point of being proven....good sir!

#16 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

Your point is non-existent, therefore, I guess this video helps validate that nothingness.

#17 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

View PostMC Coemgen, on Apr 6 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

I'll sit here and debate for Richard if need be

So u gone take his side before taking mine?? I thought we were hip-hop buddies...lol naw I'm playin..

But ok lets debate..I disagree that Soulja Boy, Yung Joc, Hurricane Chris & Flo Rida are pop artists...they sound like hip-hop artists to me...I don't get it...whats so different about the old skool rappers compared to the recent rappers that makes u wanna consider them pop artists...question's on you Coemgen since you're takin C. Rich's place.. :P

#18 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Well for starters I just find the comparing of Soulja Boy, Yung Joc, Hurricane Chris & Flo Rida to people like Rakim, Nas, The Wu-Tang, KRS-One ect. purely laughable, for many reasons. For starters, Rakim, Nas, KRS-One had strong messages when they started out, accompanied by great lyrical ability. The Wu-Tang are pioneers of hardcore rap along with each of them having a unique style and flow. Everyone you named has none of those things. They don't have messages, they don't have great lyrical ability, nor do they have a unique style and flow. They make catchy songs, thats it, and they have minimal to no lyrical ability. And just for this to be stated, I have no problem with songs that you throw on to get a party started, I have no problem with catchy songs. I have problems with the weak punchlines, no lyrical skills, and terrible style. Example, there is this rapper whom I like, Big Krizz Kaliko, he's not the best lyricist, but he has, in my opinion, one of the best styles in modern hip-hop (). <<Not the best song in the world, but its catchy, he has his great style, and he does show some lyrical ability.

#19 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

So you saying that it all depends on lyrics OR the style type only?? So if an artist had terrible lyrics but u just love the way he raps for some reason...you'll like him?? But speaking of style types and lyrics...that is exactly why I listen to Lil' Wayne so much...his lyrics are catchy as hell IMO...and another example is..I remember a while back.."Swagger Like Us" was posted in the "Pass The Popcorn" section..and everybody kind of complained about Kanye's verse...but if u just listen to his lyrics..his shit makes perfect sense and is catchy as hell..

They don't have messages, they don't have great lyrical ability, nor do they have a unique style and flow. They make catchy songs, thats it, and they have minimal to no lyrical ability.

I agree wit u on this when u look at certain rappers...the perfect example for this is Soulja Boy...ppl like his music...not because of his lyrics...but because of it being sort of catchy and great for blasting at parties and shit..

Edited by D_Money, 07 April 2009 - 11:50 PM.

#20 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

View PostD_Money, on Apr 8 2009, 12:49 AM, said:

So you saying that it all depends on lyrics OR the style type only?? So if an artist had terrible lyrics but u just love the way he raps for some reason...you'll like him?? But speaking of style types and lyrics...that is exactly why I listen to Lil' Wayne so much...his lyrics are catchy as hell IMO...and another example is..I remember a while back.."Swagger Like Us" was posted in the "Pass The Popcorn" section..and everybody kind of complained about Kanye's verse...but if u just listen to his lyrics..his shit makes perfect sense and is catchy as hell..

I wouldn't say that I'd like them, but it would definitely make them listenable/tolerable. But people like Lil Wayne, to me, don't have good lyrics, and has a style that so many people do that you can find someone who does it better. Like a few of my friends think that Phone Home is his best song, I heard it and thought it was terrible. The verse don't make sense, he is just saying random shit, and the hook is the worst hook I've ever heard. Seriously. He could of farted in the mic throughout those 8 bars and it would of sounded so much better. He also lacks any whit and cleverness (if that is a word). Like I'm listening to Blackstar right now, the song called Definition, and Talib Kweli had a line "People think MC stands for misconception" That line is clever and witty. While going back to Phone Home, Lil Wayne says "We are not the same i am a martian" but the rest of the verse has nothing to do with that.

As for does it depend on lyrics or the style type, it depends. Like there are a lot of people who I listen to that I classify as shit talking or battle rappers, for the fact the majority of their songs have a lot of punchlines. But my two favorite shit talking rappers would be Canibus and Chino XL. Now, even though they do technically have the same type of style, they do it very differently. Canibus likes to use a lot of science, history and sometimes philosophical ideas in order to create his wordplay/punchlines. Chino XL makes mostly pop culture references, things that your average person will know about. So while they have the same style, their lyrics set them apart.

#21 Mizery Made

Mizery Made

./\/\izery /\/\ade.

• Code-X Member
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

Someone say Chino XL...?

Oh, right... my bad... *walks away whistling*

#22 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

^^^Chino kills that track, so many great punches.

"Go up against Chino, God Forbid/
put my lyrics on ebay, thats God for bid//"

One of my favorite lines. Of course the final line is just sick. I also like the coroner van line.

#23 D_Money

D_Money

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

View PostMC Coemgen, on Apr 8 2009, 04:05 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that I'd like them, but it would definitely make them listenable/tolerable. But people like Lil Wayne, to me, don't have good lyrics, and has a style that so many people do that you can find someone who does it better. Like a few of my friends think that Phone Home is his best song, I heard it and thought it was terrible. The verse don't make sense, he is just saying random shit, and the hook is the worst hook I've ever heard. Seriously. He could of farted in the mic throughout those 8 bars and it would of sounded so much better. He also lacks any whit and cleverness (if that is a word). Like I'm listening to Blackstar right now, the song called Definition, and Talib Kweli had a line "People think MC stands for misconception" That line is clever and witty. While going back to Phone Home, Lil Wayne says "We are not the same i am a martian" but the rest of the verse has nothing to do with that.

Phone Home is DEFINALLY not his best at all!! 2 of his best are "Cry Out" & "Fly Out", and his style is very unique imo..I don't see any other rappers similar to his style at all..

So for a song to have good lyrics of your approval...the entire song has to be based on the first line?? I disagree...well it really depends...but as for me...its all good as long as they make it sound right..I can see if it went something like...for example..."We are not the same I am a martian...and I eat cereal went I get up in the morning" now that is what really would be considered as random shit...but imo...Wayne's verse made since in Phone Home and he made it sound right...I agree wit u on the hook tho...but I still like the song..but it is definally not his best..

Edited by D_Money, 09 April 2009 - 09:03 AM.

#24 Mizery Made

Mizery Made

./\/\izery /\/\ade.

• Code-X Member
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Wayne has been garbage since the first Carter.

#25 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Legend

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

View PostD_Money, on Apr 5 2009, 11:19 AM, said:

:mellow: everybody listens to what sounds good to them...

Yep. The line should be drawn between people who listen to what they like, and people who listen to what there friends like.

The whole "___ is not real Hip-Hop" argument is extremely 2006.