• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Major PlayStation Home Overhaul Adds New Multiplayer Functionality
Credit: 1up.com

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/238b359c" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/238b359c" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

New features have been trickling out for PlayStation Home over the past two-plus years of its existence. And while they've been appreciated additions -- voice chat, cross-game invites, universal game launching -- none of it has changed Home in a truly significant way. The forthcoming 1.5 update will be a big one that upgrades Home's physics, graphics, animations, and allows for new, real-time multiplayer games.

Sony revealed at GDC today that the 1.5 update "will introduce a suite of new technology." Multiplayer gaming is apparently a big new focus and the tools will give developers "more control over physics elements, graphics, rendering and animations, which will translate to more realistic and more intricate game experiences."

The games that have been released on Home in the past have been fairly tame. While this is no guarantee that future games will necessarily be good, Sony did mention that we could now see multiplayer-enabled, first-person shooters and kart racers.

Lockwood Publishing was the first company to announce a game taking advantage of Home's new capabilities. Sodium Two is a free-to-play racing game that looks to have more in common with Wipeout than it does its predecessor, Sodium One. The game will support online multiplayer and will be released alongside the 1.5 update this spring.

#2 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

PSHome is extremely boring and just strange. I'm not a big fan of virtual sims because to do anything, you have to literally buy things. Besides, I'm sure there are lots of pervs and horny *******s roaming around on PSHome.

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Dawning of Tornado

• Code-X Member
  • 7,007 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

I thought you would blend right in ^ :P

Home is good, The more you invest the better you get from it.
Really good fun if you ever hit the "I have loads of games but dont want to play any of them" wall.

• Guests

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

View PostTommy, on 05 March 2011 - 05:08 AM, said:

Really good fun if you ever hit the "I have loads of games but dont want to play any of them" wall.

I definitely agree with this.

What I would like is more integration with games, it was great playing through Batman Arkham Asylum for Home stuff; like the Bat Cave crib. Same with Red Dead Redemption unlocking clothing and stuff.

I hope these new updates expand this sort of thing or get more developers interested in including Home in games.