94 replies to this topic

#26 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Legend

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

2001 compared to GRoDT and Late Registration?

Get outta here with that.

#27 MC Coemgen

MC Coemgen

The Official Un-Official Code-X Legend

• Code-X Member
  • 14,431 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

At least they wrote there song :rolleyes:

#28 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

ODB is slowly becoming my favorite Wu Tang member over Ghostface and Meth.

GZA and RZA are both better than all of those IMO.

#29 Freehuey

Freehuey

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 1,972 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Administrator

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:08 AM

I havent heard any solo RZA stuff, I have Liquid Swords on my iPod for like a week and a half but I always seem to forget about it. I'll try to listen to it this weekend.

As for 50 and Kanye, Get Rich or Die Tryin got a XXL rating from XXL Mag and a 4 Mic from the Source. It was the highest selling CD from a debut artist since Doggystyle and went plantnium in its second week. I even remember Dre calling it the best album of the past 7 years, which if my math is right would include the album 2001.

Late Registraion got a XXL from XXL Magazine, recivied 4 1/2 mics from The Source, was nominated for best album of the year at the grammys, won for best hip hop album, got a 5 star review from Rolling Stone, and was their #1 best album of 2005.

Really I dont think there is any reason to "Get outta here with that" with the critical acclaim that it got and both being great albums.

#30 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts
  • Gallery:View
  • Twitter:Follow Me

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:24 AM

Personally I believe the College Dropout is Kanye's classic thus far. It has everything for me, great beats, great lyrics and lasting power. I still listen to that album atleast once a month and I bought it as soon as it was released. All the tracks are good to me and the seems more whole compared Late Registration. The flow of the album is a lot better, and the tracks fit together IMO. So if any of Kanye's stuff is a classic it's the college dropout to me.

#31 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:23 AM

View PostFreehuey, on Apr 13 2007, 09:08 AM, said:

I havent heard any solo RZA stuff, I have Liquid Swords on my iPod for like a week and a half but I always seem to forget about it. I'll try to listen to it this weekend.

As for 50 and Kanye, Get Rich or Die Tryin got a XXL rating from XXL Mag and a 4 Mic from the Source. It was the highest selling CD from a debut artist since Doggystyle and went plantnium in its second week. I even remember Dre calling it the best album of the past 7 years, which if my math is right would include the album 2001.

Late Registraion got a XXL from XXL Magazine, recivied 4 1/2 mics from The Source, was nominated for best album of the year at the grammys, won for best hip hop album, got a 5 star review from Rolling Stone, and was their #1 best album of 2005.

Really I dont think there is any reason to "Get outta here with that" with the critical acclaim that it got and both being great albums.

All those magazines are extremely biased and unreliable, and sales have never consistently been a factor in quality of an album in the history of Hip-Hop.

RZA did not make Liquid Swordz, GZA did.

As far as who wrote the album, who ******* cares, it wasn't like Dre goes around wanting people to believe he writes all his shit like others. Its like saying Midnight Marauders wasn't a classic because it was a group effort of three-four people. Chronic and 2001 were more group albums but Dre got the main credit. People forget what part the producer plays in the game.

Ugh.

#32 Freehuey

Freehuey

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

I wasnt saying RZA did it, I was pointing out that I have it but I havent listend to it yet. I ment to put a perid there, not a comma.

As far as who wrote the album, who ******* cares, it wasn't like Dre goes around wanting people to believe he writes all his shit like others. Its like saying Midnight Marauders wasn't a classic because it was a group effort of three-four people. Chronic and 2001 were more group albums but Dre got the main credit. People forget what part the producer plays in the game.

I honestly have no idea if that is directed at me or not. I never said anything about who wrote these albums. And wether 2001 was group album or not my opinon is that it wouldnt be a classic.

#33 J.O.B. (Joey)

J.O.B. (Joey)

There's More 2 Life Than Chasin Girls, That's Raising 2

• Code-X Member
  • 4,870 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

Im not sure if thats an official cd or another mix tape! Dirty had many mixtapes released after ***** Plz! I think Trials & Tribulations was the last actual cd! I have Osirus and I know its a mixtape!

#34 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:38 AM

It was directed at Devil saying "Atleast they wrote there own verses".

#35 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

Well back on the subject of Kanye, I think College Dropout should be a classic. It may not be there 100% lyrically, but it was just composed so well and right after you listen to it you instantly know it was a great album.

#36 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

A great album and a classic aren't the same thing.

#37 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

Well tell me, what makes an album a classic rather than just a great album?

#38 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:17 PM

"Ask the OG's the gangstas and ask the kids, what they definition of classic is, Timeless, so age don't count in the booth" ~Rakim

Timeless = Classic
Great Album = Great, but you come back much less often.

Theres hundreds, maybe a few thousand of great albums...A Classic is a little higher par. It should be flawless.

#39 Freehuey

Freehuey

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:53 PM

It should be flawless.

2001 had The Hitman rapping, that isnt a flaw?

The Eminem Show wasnt track for track perfect. That wouldf all under not classic by your flawless standard.

But it is your opinion and this is your thread which is what counts I guess. Opinion is also the key word, both our opinons vary. Like you think Rakim is the god of hip hop, I think he is very good (Please if you will save any "Your a idiot for not thinking Rakim is god, he is the greatest, you dont know shit" comments).

But to my point.

I understand what your saying by classic and great albums, it is just going to vary from person to person. I think alot of your classics are just great. I'm sure my classics you would think are great. To each his own, I was just commenting on it.

#40 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

"Your a idiot for not thinking Rakim is god, he is the greatest, you dont know shit"

#41 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:32 PM

Yes I agree quality is judged differently from person to person, it depends on what you look for in an album. Fate seems to focus mostly on the lyrics and technicalities, as for myself, I look more into the overall message the album sends, and for the next person it may be the sound of it that makes an album great. Well these are classics according to Fate, so I'm not going to try and force my opinion into it. I can agree with it for the most part, but for me College Dropout will always be a classic and one of my all time favorite albums.

#42 Freehuey

Freehuey

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

lol Fate, should have saw it coming.

I chuckled.

Doesnt take away from the fact though that there are better than Rakim though :)

#43 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

There are no better than Ra.

#44 Mizery Made

Mizery Made

./\/\izery /\/\ade.

• Code-X Member
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

View PostFateL, on Apr 22 2007, 09:54 PM, said:

There are no better than Ra.
Jeezy!

#45 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

I take it Fate chose to ignore that... not even a slight lol.... LOL

Huey said it best... It's about opinion. A flawless album to one person is somebody elses **** that wack shit...

Personally I think you have to look to the artists themselves to find classics. I know this may be a weird way of working it but more often than not the artists themselves seem to have unwritten lists of the albums they ALL seem to count as classics. To me, because they know what a classic album takes and what he needs to have from all angles, it is in my opinion that they have the most accurate expression of a clasic.

However, that doesn't mean I don't take others opinions in on a "classic" hell I even throw the word about. At the end of the day tastes differ but to me a classic is illmatic, ATLiens, Life After Death, Me against the World, Only built for Cuban Lynx, enter the wu... ETC

#46 Freehuey

Freehuey

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Legend
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

I cracked up at the Jeezy line.

I was reading through your intro thingy and I saw this:
"either classics and a must have, or highly recommended"

Just curious, seeing colored ones are those 3 differnt things which are which. Like what is classic and what is just highly recommended? What doesnt make LR and GRoDT highly reccomended but another one is? I'm just curious how your judging each one now and which are classics, and what are highly recommended.

#47 TheKGBIsAfterYou

TheKGBIsAfterYou

Little Shit Stoppin'

• Code-X Legend
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

I don't highly recommend either LR or GRoDT, they're good but not great or classic.

Classics to me are albums that have great lyrics and meaning to you yet never get old.

#48 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend
  • 17,657 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:18 AM

I don't highly recommend Late Registration, it was good but I haven't touched it in ages. Same as GRoDT.

#49 J.O.B. (Joey)

J.O.B. (Joey)

There's More 2 Life Than Chasin Girls, That's Raising 2

• Code-X Member
  • 4,870 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

Where the hell is your Too Short ;)

#50 Makaveli

Makaveli

Disposable Member

• Code-X Legend