koberulz

Retired. You miss me.

• Code-X Member
  • 3,464 posts
  • Gallery:View

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Firefox was running fine this morning.

Now, it's barely running at all.

Every time I attempt to do something (open it from the taskbar, switch tab, type in the address bar, create a new tab, type in a form, scroll up, scroll down, use the menus, refresh a page, etc), I get the stupid hourglass cursor, and the Firefox icon in the top left hand corner of the title bar changes to the generic .exe icon, which is usually, in other programs, the symptom of a not responding error. As would normally happen in this case, I get the (Not Responding) text in the title bar. About fifteen seconds later, it disappears, and all is well until I next attempt to do something.

I've cleaned all the spyware and crap off my computer, but it's running even worse than before. I basically can't use it now.

How can I fix this problem? I have not berated Firefox's spelling (not to its face, at any rate), so it is not a personal issue.

Edited by koberulz, 15 May 2007 - 10:16 AM.

#2 Sergio

Sergio

Resident Evil Fan

• Code-X Administrator
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

Maybe the spyware tampered with our firefox to the point where it stopped functioning well. Or maybe your CPU has a virus that has not been scanned for or has not been detected. My comp had a warning message pop up in my task bar for a week and no matter how I clicked it, it always took me to "Spylocked.com" and displayed no page. My anti virus always said that Spylocked was blocked because it is a threat. I ran my virus program about 7 times total and it never removed or detected the virus, but one day it finally detected it in my CPU's memory and a scan finally removed it.

Anyway, at this point... try uninstalling FF and then reinstalling it to see if it helps. I've been on FF for over 2 years and it has never given me problems. There could be issues with your CPU's compatibility with FF, but that I would not know of.

#3 koberulz

koberulz

Retired. You miss me.

• Code-X Member
  • 3,464 posts
  • Gallery:View

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

Reinstalling hasn't worked, creating a new Firfox profile hasn't worked, and rebooting the computer hasn't worked.

Various Google searches have only returned people suffering low-speed internet, which is the least of my problems at the moment.