• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

WWE Exec Wants Rock vs. Cena Cancelled, Cena Responds
Credit: Wrestlezone

The Wrestling Observer recently posted a report noting that a top WWE executive, who is said to have a lot of influence on Vince McMahon's decision making, is lobbying to have the planned Rock vs John Cena Wrestlemania match scrapped from the card. The executive feels that John Cena will undoubtedly be booed heavily by the Miami crowd, as the match is taking place in The Rock's hometown, and that having the company's biggest star booed at the biggest event of the year would not be good for business. n response to this report, a fan posted the following on Twitter, to which John Cena responded:

"@JohnCena Any truth to the rumours that a top WWE exec wants your match with The Rock removed from the WM 28 card?"

"@Hero_InTheHold none at all. That match needs to happen. If they kick us out we will fight.in parking lot"

#2 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts
  • Gallery:View

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

This is BS speculation on the wrestling news websites and it makes no sense at all.

"Oh no, Cena is going to get booed... he can't face the Rock in Miami because of that!"

Getting a reaction from the crowd is what wrestling is all about, a cheer or a boo, everyone of which is earned and valid - is what put wrestling on the map, fact. If the crowd want to boo Cena then fine that is their prerogative. When it is all said and done Cena vs. The Rock is money and that is what Vince cuts his teeth on, earning money! So this match not happening because one exec thinks Cena will get booed is horse shit, this match will happen because it will be the biggest money spinner since Hogan vs. Rock and that is an opportunity that Vince will not deny himself or the fans.

#3 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

Like a cat.. without a care..

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:56 AM

I don't even know how they would be able to get out of it even if they wanted to. It's too big of a match to just not have happen now. Like, how would they explain changing it while keeping at least half of the fans happy? I don't think it's possible.

Only way I see out of it and have people be at least understanding about it would be if one of them gets injured or dies.

#4 Blizzard

Blizzard

Ariana is my queen ♡

• Code-X Member
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

Did the match get cancelled when it was Cena/RVD at One Night Stand 2006 & Cena got booed? I don't think so!

#5 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

Nice example Blizz. Plus, the WWE must have known what reception he was in for in Chicago against CM Punk.

A match isn't getting called off because someone is going to get booed, it makes no sense, that's wrestling. A heel vs. a face - good vs. evil - someone the fans are behind against someone they are not.

If the WWE are worried about Cena getting booed just because it is the Rock's hometown then give the people a real reason to boo - if it is only for this feud - turn Cena heel and truly take advantage of the situation.

#6 Socom

Socom

Michael Jackson 1958-2009 What a Legend

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Cena gets booed anyway what's the difference.

Edited by Socom, 08 August 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#7 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Administrator

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

I was going to say the same thing about the RVD match... And Cena lost the title. lol. This is BS

#8 Blizzard

Blizzard

Ariana is my queen ♡

• Code-X Member
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

View PostRyan, on 08 August 2011 - 06:18 AM, said:

Nice example Blizz.
Thanks. :)

View PostRyan, on 08 August 2011 - 06:18 AM, said:

Plus, the WWE must have known what reception he was in for in Chicago against CM Punk.
I know how that feels. When I watched Money In The Bank at the cinemas, 90% of people booed Cena & the 10% including me cheered him then when Punk won, everyone bagged the crap out of me by saying shit like "Where's your hero now?" & & "You suck & Cenation sucks!"

#9 Simon

Simon

Only 4 stars due to not being Misawa

• Code-X Member
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:43 AM

There was much, MUCH more to it than just him being booed, such as the fact that maybe The Rock doesn't deserve to come into the main event of Wrestlemania over guys who work week in, week out for the WWE just because he's made a few shitty movies and is famous outside the ring.

This isn't 1999, after all.

But it'll still happen because he's a big draw so good for him/them.

Edited by Simon, 09 August 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#10 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

It is interesting that you point out he doesn't deserve it. Did Hogan deserve to walk straight back in to the top of the WWE when he finally resigned with Vince after WCW shut up shop?

Same goes for Shawn Michaels after his hiatus due to his back injury... The Undertaker seemingly every year... Steve Austin after he "took his ball and went home" before coming back for his last match with the Rock. etc.

The point I'm getting at is these guys are legends. They've been there and done the "week in, week out" whistle stop tour around the states and even the world with the WWE more than once over. The reason they are given the privilege of choosing if/when they appear(ed) and getting to ride at the top in mainevents is because they earned the right of being a big draw back then and their legacy has surpassed those of others to the point that when they do come back it is a big deal and you have no option but to push them in the mainevents.

How effective would it be if the Rock and Cena opened WrestleMania and had a 10 minute match of little significance not to mention a mediocre build up on RAW? It would defeat the point in bringing the Rock back. He's put himself in that special attraction bracket by his absence making the hearts of fans grow fonder. Because of that you have to market him as a special attraction and give him the focus that special attractions warrant.

Is it fair? No, but every wrestler on the roster has the opportunity to gain that legendary special attraction status and do what the Rock has done and others have done before him. It isn't the first time someone has come back for a one time only gig and been pushed beyond measure and it won't be the last.