50 replies to this topic

#1 +Virus

+Virus

TASTE THE RAINBOW!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,334 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:16 AM

T3.com has reported that they have received insider knowledge about a new, slim PS3 that may be in the works. Included in their report are some mock up images of what the system may look like.

According to the rumor, the new systems will be slimmer, as well as quite a bit lighter, which are the only two seemingly noticeable differences. System specs would remain the same, with the possibility of a larger hard drive. T3 believes that a 160GB model could very likely be the first slim-line PS3 to hit the market.

While all of this sounds exciting and possible, there has been no confirmation from Sony on any of these rumors, and are just that, rumors. As soon as we know, you'll know, so be sure to check back.

pics: New Playstation 3 this autumn? - www.t3.com

Full Story: http://www.t3.com/ne...and-lite?=35165

IMO thise just looks like a Wii cut in half with a PS3 top...

Edited by Skull Candy, 04 February 2008 - 05:17 AM.

#2 ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

Code X's Princess

• Code-X Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:30 AM

Why is a slim Playstation 3 coming out so soon? The model looks plain and rushed. I prefer the original Playstation 3 console.

#3 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

Like a cat.. without a care..

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

it does look like that lol

I dont think a Slim should/will come out untill atleast late 2009

#4 O-Yama³

O-Yama³

I'm Gay

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:49 AM

Included in their report are some mock up images of what the system may look like.
So I doubt they will actually look like that, because like you say it does look a little like a Wii and then sony will be slated for that also, but a new slimmer system will bring the current price of the chunky PS3 down because we will all want a slim PS3 like we all wanted a slim PS2 and maybe early 2009 we will see it, that is of course if this story is correct and sony has yet to confirm it so I wouldn't start getting excited just yet.

#5 LILFATE

LILFATE

LILFATE "LEGEND STATUS"

• Code-X Member
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Sony slimd every system down

#6 Rabbit

Rabbit

Dream like you live forever, Live like you die tomorrow!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

y is it that when sony cant sell something, they go and make it slim?

#7 JBLayfield™

JBLayfield™

Code-X Rookie

• Code-X Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

Oh well, I rather have a slim one myself anyway. They should have just made it slim to begin with.

#8 Sergio

Sergio

Resident Evil Fan

• Code-X Administrator
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

View PostJBLayfield™, on Feb 4 2008, 02:28 PM, said:

Oh well, I rather have a slim one myself anyway. They should have just made it slim to begin with.
So true. Sony rushed their PS3 out just because 360 was already out for a year and they decided to screw over the consumer by releasing a monstrous machine with a high price tag and watered down features that get improved over time with updates. 1 key feature that should have fans upset is that it has a hard drive but you can't listen to custom tracks while playing a game.

Also, IMO, both Sony and Microsoft put their product out too early and even killed 100% backwards compatibility with the Xbox and PS2. Microsoft's product however was more complete than Sony's.

I'm in no rush for a PS3 still as there is still no reason to have the console over a Wii and 360... I mean seriously, what games will I play on PS3 that I don't already prefer on 360? Nothing it has is selling me at the moment. I would rather hold on long enough that maybe a Slim Model would be present when I do decide to get one, just like with the PS2.

#9 King¦Mickey

King¦Mickey

i dunno lol

• Code-X Member
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

How about some more games instead, Sony?

#10 O-Yama³

O-Yama³

I'm Gay

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

View PostKing:Mickey, on Feb 4 2008, 08:40 PM, said:

How about some more games instead, Sony?
Yes absolutely right, why bother with a slimmer version when you wont have that many games to play on it?

#11 +Virus

+Virus

TASTE THE RAINBOW!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

Agreed with K:M...and IMO they shouldn't release it that soon.....atleast wait 2-3 years....geez sony....learn a little...

#12 King¦Mickey

King¦Mickey

i dunno lol

• Code-X Member
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

View PostSkull Candy, on Feb 4 2008, 03:25 PM, said:

Agreed with K:M...and IMO they shouldn't release it that soon.....atleast wait 2-3 years....geez sony....learn a little...

Seeing as the regular one is HUEG, this isn't a BAD move, per se.

#13 Accendo

Accendo

The Official Code X Traceur

• Code-X Member
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

Man, what stupid thing to do. You're putting this thing down and hardly moving it again. How small does it have to be? I really have never understood the idea of making systems smaller and then re-selling them. It's obvious that it's simply an attempt to fool stupid people into spending more money. Which people undoubtedly will.

#14 Digguitz

Digguitz

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Oh how disgusting, its an offense for that system, I have a normal PS3 and I got disgusted by that.

#15 Rabbit

Rabbit

Dream like you live forever, Live like you die tomorrow!

• Code-X Member
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

ummmm

how is that disgusting?

#16 Digguitz

Digguitz

Code-X Rising Star

• Code-X Member
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

Man, just look at it, its so awfull

#17 Sergio

Sergio

Resident Evil Fan

• Code-X Administrator
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

View PostAccendo, on Feb 4 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

Man, what stupid thing to do. You're putting this thing down and hardly moving it again. How small does it have to be? I really have never understood the idea of making systems smaller and then re-selling them. It's obvious that it's simply an attempt to fool stupid people into spending more money. Which people undoubtedly will.
I believe the goal is to get more sales primarily from those who have temporarily boycotted the system for it's size and/or price. If you own the large version and want to trade it or buy a new slim one, that's a personal choice. Making the system smaller is practical though, why would you be against it? Some people do travel with their system whether on trips or to a friend's house. A smaller unit is also more compact for adding it to your entertainment centers or wherever you want where you have a TV.

The first Xbox (as good as it was) got heat for being so big. Heck, the awesome controllers got heat too because people had little hands (I loved the grip on those original Xbox Controls) and because of it they discontinued them and brought on the S-Controllers. So now we have a 360 console that is slightly smaller and can stand vertically.

Take the original PS2 for example and compare it to a slim PS2. I know my Slim PS2 standing vertically on my computer desk is far more desirable than my brother's fat PS2. I essentially have more room with the slimmer one.

I don't think waiting 2-3 years for a slim model is good. What's the point? By then think about how many people will have a PS3 already, only to feel like idiots knowing that a slimmer one is on the horizon. Then you sit there and think, "man that slim one would look/fit better there."

#18 ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

Code X's Princess

• Code-X Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

View PostSergio, on Feb 5 2008, 09:09 AM, said:

View PostAccendo, on Feb 4 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

I believe the goal is to get more sales primarily from those who have temporarily boycotted the system for it's size and/or price. If you own the large version and want to trade it or buy a new slim one, that's a personal choice. Making the system smaller is practical though, why would you be against it? Some people do travel with their system whether on trips or to a friend's house. A smaller unit is also more compact for adding it to your entertainment centers or wherever you want where you have a TV.

The first Xbox (as good as it was) got heat for being so big. Heck, the awesome controllers got heat too because people had little hands (I loved the grip on those original Xbox Controls) and because of it they discontinued them and brought on the S-Controllers. So now we have a 360 console that is slightly smaller and can stand vertically.

Take the original PS2 for example and compare it to a slim PS2. I know my Slim PS2 standing vertically on my computer desk is far more desirable than my brother's fat PS2. I essentially have more room with the slimmer one.

I don't think waiting 2-3 years for a slim model is good. What's the point? By then think about how many people will have a PS3 already, only to feel like idiots knowing that a slimmer one is on the horizon. Then you sit there and think, "man that slim one would look/fit better there."
Aside from the lid problem that the slim Playstation 2 had... Didn't the slim Playstation 2 not have any cooling fans?

#19 Sergio

Sergio

Resident Evil Fan

• Code-X Administrator
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:02 AM

What was the lid problem?

Also, I've left my PS2 on for many hours at a time before and it has never overheated. I'd say the fans and ventilation are fine.

#20 *RatedRKO

*RatedRKO

Tommy is the bomb

• Banned
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

View PostSergio, on Feb 5 2008, 01:02 PM, said:

Also, I've left my PS2 on for many hours at a time before and it has never overheated. I'd say the fans and ventilation are fine.

me too.

#21 ~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~

Code X's Princess

• Code-X Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

View PostSergio, on Feb 5 2008, 09:02 AM, said:

The slim Playstation 2 has fans? It must be really small ones then. Are you sure? Oh and about the lid.. A few people had lid (the lid where you open up the PS2 to place a disc in) problems with the slim Playstation 2. Some games were not playing correctly or wouldn't show up at all, unless you press the lid.

#22 *RatedRKO

*RatedRKO

Tommy is the bomb

• Banned
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

Idk if it had fans but i never had problems with it overheating or getting too hot. Also i never experienced the lid problems.

#23 Sergio

Sergio

Resident Evil Fan

• Code-X Administrator
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

View Post~PrinCeSS ReBeCCa~, on Feb 5 2008, 12:22 PM, said:

View PostSergio, on Feb 5 2008, 09:02 AM, said:

The slim Playstation 2 has fans? It must be really small ones then. Are you sure? Oh and about the lid.. A few people had lid (the lid where you open up the PS2 to place a disc in) problems with the slim Playstation 2. Some games were not playing correctly or wouldn't show up at all, unless you press the lid.
I'm guessing they didn't fully insert their game disc then because when you insert the disc, you're supposed to hear a snapping sound that tells you the disc is securely inserted into place like with the Gamecube. If they had to press the lid for the game to work, I'm assuming they didn't fully snap the disc on and so pressing the lid did it. It's not an issue with me. The Slim PS2 has to have fans or else it would overheat constantly and eventually destroy your PS2. Like with a car for example, if you constantly overheat your engine because of failure to add water or anti-freeze to the recovery tank/radiator, your engine is going to die out sooner than later. The same applies if the fans in your car are not working to cool your engine to a stable temperature.

#24 King¦Mickey

King¦Mickey

i dunno lol

• Code-X Member
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

The slim PS3 is far more desirable than the hueg monster PS3 we have now, but in order for me to care, the PS3 itself would have to be desirable in the first place. This is a step in the right direction though.

And even though I don't own one, two of my friends have a slim PS2 and it never has problems.

Edited by King:Mickey, 05 February 2008 - 11:43 AM.

#25 Alan93

Alan93

Cole World

• Code-X Member
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

Well my slim PS2 would really heat up in just under 2 hours but this is just pointless right now. what could they possibly offer in a scaled down modle that they cant in their regular PS3s, one things for sure and its that im sticking with my Normal/Original PS3