Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

NBA is officially locked out

Normally this would be an off season thread for the National Basketball Association, but seeing how the NBA has officially locked out. Discuss the lock out as well as anything else NBA here.

#2 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Kobe Bryant tries new therapy
Credit: ESPN

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant underwent an experimental but increasingly popular procedure last month in Germany in an attempt to help heal his oft-injured right knee, a source confirmed to ESPNLosAngeles.com Thursday night.

he procedure, called platelet-rich plasma therapy, consists of centrifuging the patient's blood to isolate platelets and growth factors. The mix is then injected into the injured area to accelerate healing. The concentrated growth factors have been shown to speed tissue growth and healing in surgically created lesions in lab animals.

Golfer Tiger Woods, New York Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty and Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cliff Lee also reportedly have undergone the treatment.

However, a number of recent studies disputes the effectiveness of the treatment. The New York Times cited a study by Dr. Leon Creaney in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in which patients treated with injections of whole blood for tennis elbow had better outcomes than those treated with PRP therapy after six months.

Another study conducted by doctors in the Netherlands that was printed in the British Journal of Sports Medicine and cited by the Times examined patients treated for Achilles tendinitis with PRP therapy versus a placebo of saline solution. There was no statistical difference in healing between the two groups after six months.

It makes sense, however, that Bryant would try the therapy. He already had surgery in July 2010 to remove bone fragments from the knee, the third procedure on the joint. In January, he said his knee was "almost bone-on-bone."

Because the minimally invasive surgery has a short recovery time and does not restrict movement, there is little downside to seeing if it improves healing in the knee.

The Lakers' leading scorer saw his minutes and productivity decline in 2010-11. He was barely able to practice all season as a result of the knee injury. Bryant has said much of this summer would be dedicated to allowing his body to recover.

The Los Angeles Times first reported that Bryant underwent the procedure. Bryant was not available for comment, and it is not clear why the treatment was done in Germany.

[center]Sources: Top big men to hit market

There are actually two notable deadlines Thursday in the NBA.

One is the buzzer sounding at midnight that signals the end of the current collective bargaining agreement and sends the league into the uncertainty of a lockout.

But Thursday is also the last day for free agents-to-be such as the Denver Nuggets' Nene and the Dallas Mavericks' Tyson Chandler to sign contract extensions that would keep the two big men off the free-agent market ... whenever free agency starts after the forthcoming lockout.

Yet in both cases, no extension is anticipated Thursday.

Nene has already notified the Nuggets that he will opt out of the final year of his contract to become a free agent, according to the Denver Post.

The Nuggets have been engaged in extension dialogue with Nene for months, dating to late in the regular season, but sources with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com that Denver would have to make an offer worth more than $13 million annually to convince Nene to forego the opportunity to become, along with Chandler and New Orleans' David West, one of the three most coveted free agents in the league.

As for Chandler, sources told ESPN.com that there has been minimal conversation between the Mavericks and their defensive anchor about an extension since Dallas won the first championship in franchise history on June 12.

As badly as the Mavericks want the vocal Chandler back to reprise his role as the most impactful frontcourt sidekick Dirk Nowitzki has ever played with, team officials are apparently determined to see exactly how restrictive the new salary-cap rules are after the lockout before trying to re-sign the Team USA big man.

The risk there is that Chandler, like Nene, is sure to attract interest from numerous teams, which means that Dallas will have to deal with serious competition to keep him, as opposed to the past two weeks since the championship when only the Mavs could negotiate with him.

Besides big-spending rivals such as Miami and New York that sources say would love to try to steal Chandler from the Mavs if they had any financial flexibility, sources likewise indicate that at least two teams projected to have some salary-cap space in the NBA's new frontier -- Sacramento and Toronto -- are already making plans to go hard after Chandler when they are finally granted that opportunity.

The good news for Dallas is that Chandler, by all accounts, wants to stay in Big D and would presumably have little interest at this point in playing for any team that isn't in the championship mix. The teams with the lowest projected payrolls for next season (Sacramento, Indiana, New Jersey, Washington, Los Angeles Clippers and Toronto) are all lottery teams.

The 28-year-old seemed to tip his hand about how much he wants to return during the Mavericks' post-parade celebration at American Airlines Center on June 16, when joked LeBron James-style about how he expects Dallas to go on and win "two, three, four, five" championships.

Yet Chandler made it clear in a recent interview with ESPN 103.3's Ben and Skin Show that there are no guarantees he'll be back no matter how successful he was in a debut season with the Mavs that prompted Nowitzki, on numerous occasions, to label him team MVP for the season because of the lift he provided defensively.

"Honestly, at this point, I'll let my agent and the management hash everything out," Chandler said during the recent Ben and Skin interview. "I try not to get involved with it, because then it becomes personal. I honestly try to stay out of it as much as possible and then at the last minute, when I need to make decisions, I'll come in and me and my agent will sit down."

Chandler finished third in the league last season in NBA Defensive Player of the Year voting after averaging 10.1 points and 9.4 boards while playing in 74 of 82 games despite concerns about his injury history.

"Tyson Chandler changed our season on a lot of levels," Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said shortly after the season. "It wasn't just his play. It was his enthusiasm, his energy. He just brought a certain exuberance to our locker room and he was always a guy who was talking about accountability. He was talking about it, preaching it and it got other guys in the locker room on board with keeping each other accountable.

"Because, if you don't have a team that polices itself, you can't win an NBA championship."

Said Nowitzki: "Tyson, to me, turned everything around. ... Looking back now, that was almost [like] a key signing. His positive energy, his defense, I think, is what turned this whole thing around. Every big game down the stretch, we did it with defense.

"Obviously we'd love to get a deal done with Tyson and keep him here in the long run. I've never played with a center as athletic, as quick and able to cover as much ground and play with his energy. He was a pleasure to play with."

The trade to acquire Chandler from Charlotte last summer was the fourth for Chandler in the space of three seasons, although two of those deals -- one from New Orleans to Oklahoma City, another from Charlotte to Toronto -- broke down after they were agreed to.

He's one of six unrestricted free agents in Dallas, along with J.J. Barea, Caron Butler, Brian Cardinal, DeShawn Stevenson and Peja Stojakovic.

"In an ideal world, we keep it intact and make another run,'' Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said earlier this month. "But ... none of us knows what the market is going to be like. So it's just, 'We're in a holding pattern.'"

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

Cavaliers obtain Omri Casspi from Kings

The Cleveland Cavaliers have traded power forward J.J. Hickson to the Sacramento Kings for swingman Omri Casspi and Sacramento's protected first-round pick in the 2012 NBA draft.

The teams apparently sought to complete the deal Thursday before midnight to ensure its completion, with a lockout expected at 12:01 a.m. ET Friday.

Shannon Brown becomes free agent

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers guard Shannon Brown will not exercise the option in his contract to remain with the team next season and will test the waters as an unrestricted free agent.

Brown, 25, informed the Lakers on Thursday, the last possible day with the June 30 deadline, that he would not be accepting their guaranteed deal worth approximately $2.4 million that was on the table. After playing for four teams through the first five years of his career, Brown is seeking a multiyear deal through free agency.

#3 Blizzard

Blizzard

Ariana is my queen ♡

• Code-X Member
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

Shannon Brown to the Bulls!

#4 Ollie The Magic Bum

Ollie The Magic Bum

BALL DON'T LIE!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,091 posts
  • Gallery:View

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:14 AM

Oh no, we can't include Hickson in a package for Amare. He's too vital to our future to move.

Two years later... :lol:

#5 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Administrator

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

For a while it looked like he was going to be a decent player sooner or later...

#6 H K

H K

Code X Join Date: Jul 7, 2004

• Code-X Legend
  • 9,209 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

Basketball is for homosexuals.

#7 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

You spelled soccer wrong.

#8 H K

H K

• Code-X Legend
  • 9,209 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:42 AM

View PostShowtime, on 20 July 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Soccer is also for homosexuals, in addition to basketball, football, and all other sports activities.

#9 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

Right... Why are you in this section again?

#10 H K

H K

• Code-X Legend
  • 9,209 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

View PostShowtime, on 21 July 2011 - 05:57 AM, said:

Right... Why are you in this section again?

I was bored.

#11 Joshua

Joshua

• Code-X Legend
  • 7,792 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Legend

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

View PostH K, on 21 July 2011 - 02:42 AM, said:

View PostShowtime, on 20 July 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Soccer is also for homosexuals, in addition to basketball, football, and all other sports activities.
I will eat your first born child :angry:

#12 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:04 AM

OK, forgive me for being late on the subject here but I've just realised that like 6 players from the Mavs, 5 of which were in the play-off winning team are free agents... I would have thought that they'd have made more of an effort to keep a hold of Chandler and Peja but I guess they could be resigned depending on the salary cap and all this lock out crap, etc. Unless we make good additions to the team though I think a title defence is out of the question if/when the season ever gets under way. :unsure:

#13 Showtime

Showtime

the show goes on

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

I really don't think there will be much of a season. We might get 40-50 games if we're lucky. And I would expect the Spurs, Lakers or Celtics to win in that scenario, since the age factor will be less of a factor with the shorter season, and those are the most solid teams all around.

#14 Ryan

Ryan

CM-PUNK.com/BITW

• Code-X Legend
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

That sucks... -_- The NBA lock out isn't getting much media coverage here in the UK so I'm not really up to date on what is happening with it but if the lock out does force half of the season to be scrapped they may as well just forget about it for the year. Sounds harsh on teams/players and fans a-like but I don't think any team could call themselves legit champs by not playing the standard number of regular season games, or close to that number at least.

#15 Ollie The Magic Bum

Ollie The Magic Bum

BALL DON'T LIE!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

BOSTON WHY ARE YOU SO OLD