Michael Jackson 1958-2009 What a Legend

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts
  • Code-X History: Former G-Mod

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

View PostRyan, on 26 April 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

View PostSocom, on 26 April 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

Thank god I never buy anything of PSN.

It doesn't matter if you buy anything on PSN or not. If you've ever entered your details into PSN you could still be scammed, even with online identiy theft as silly as it sounds. Think about it, the hackers potentially have your full name, address and psn username/password. All of which could get then quite far depending on what they plan on doing.
I have not entered my card details into PSN just like Xbox Live, I don't trust these kind of services. When I want to buy anything I just buy a PSN Card or XBL Card. Hopefully Sony fix this problem asap.

Edited by Socom, 26 April 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#52 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

Like a cat.. without a care..

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

View PostSocom, on 26 April 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

I have not entered my card details into PSN just like Xbox Live, I don't trust these kind of services. When I want to buy anything I just buy a PSN Card or XBL Card. Hopefully Sony fix this problem asap.
Same here.

This is a good reason to just use those plastic points cards instead. Sure they aren't as convenient, but if you never input your credit/debit info then you wouldn't have as much to worry about.

#53 Socom

Socom

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

Plus depending on how fast Sony acted. They might have not got hold of all these details. Its POSSIBLE but Sony has shut down PSN for now. So hopefully all these details are saved.

Update: A document written by the hackers has clarified what they did and what privacy and security risks they believe the PlayStation 3 poses. The PS3's connection to PSN is protected by SSL. As is common to SSL implementations, the identity of the remote server is verified using a list of certificates stored on each PS3. The credit card and other information is sent over this SSL connection. So far so good; this is all safe, and your web browser depends on the same mechanisms for online purchases.

The concern raised by the hackers is that custom firmwares could subvert this system. A custom firmware can include custom certificates in its trusted list. It can also use custom DNS servers. This raises the prospect of a malicious entity operating his own proxies to snaffle sensitive data. He would distribute a custom firmware that had a certificate corresponding to his proxy, and that used a DNS server that directed PSN connections to the proxy. His proxy would decrypt the data sent to it, and then re-encrypt it and forward it to the real PSN servers.

Such a scheme would be transparent to PSN users (except for any potential performance reduction caused by the proxying), and would give the attacker access to all the information that the PS3 sends to Sony. This information is shown to be extensive, but apart from the credit card data, probably not too sensitive or unreasonable.

As flaws go, the risks here are not substantial. There is no generalized ability for hackers to grab credit cards from PSN users; only those using specially devised custom firmwares would be at risk. Essentially the same risk could be faced by anyone downloading a pirated version of Windows: extra certificates could be added to those normally trusted, along with suitable DNS entries, to allow interception of any traffic destined for, say, amazon.com. In practice, the risk of either of these is slight, and in any case, trivially avoided: don't use custom firmware.

The original story is below, but note that the claims originally made by the hacker quoted in the article are unsubstantiated.
This is a interesting read.

Edited by Socom, 26 April 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#54 Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Insert something here

• Code-X Legend
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:00 AM

It sounds pretty legit, I looked through the reddit post yesterday and peeked at some of the comments. I think its the most plausible story that's come out yet.

#55 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • Twitter:Follow Me
  • Facebook:Like Me

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:27 AM

http://blogs.compute..._for_5th_day?vb

Well it was an intrusion of some kind and the bad news is they haven't been able to get it fixed yet, and it may take another week. I'm thinking in my opinion it may not be back up at all, think about it, its already been down a week & they keep delaying it as far as we know the PSN could be damaged beyond repair, i hope they find that hacker cause he/she deserves jail time for something this cruel I hope Sony does fix it though, this would be a sad way for the PS3 to go out.

#56 Blizzard

Blizzard

Ariana is my queen ♡

• Code-X Member
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

http://www.kktv.com/...ection=comments

I heard about this on TV aswell.

Edited by Blizzard, 27 April 2011 - 06:43 AM.

#57 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

Sony confirms personal PSN data compromised, 'some services' back up 'within a week'
Credit: Gamespot

Sony has entered the seventh day of its PlayStation Network outage, and the situation has turned from bad to worse. Offering an update on the "external intrusion" that gave the Japanese electronics company cause to brings its online service for the PlayStation 3 and PSP offline, Sony has confirmed that personal information has been compromised.

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network," a Sony spokesperson confirmed on the company's official blog.

As for what that means to PSN and Qriocity users, Sony said that "an unauthorized person" has gained access to such identifying information as registrants "name, address (city, state, zip), country, e-mail address, birth date, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID." Sony recently told a group of investors that the PSN currently has some 75 million registered users.

According to the publisher, it is also possible that the intruder may have gleaned certain profile data, including "purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers."

Sony also confirmed speculation that credit card data may have been compromised as part of the attack. "While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility," the Sony spokesperson said. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Sony is taking a three-pronged approach to addressing the situation. The first, as many gamers have noticed, has been to indefinitely bring down the PSN and Qriocity media service. Sony said that it has also "engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened." Finally, the publisher said that it is currently taking steps to "enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by rebuilding our system."

Sony noted that US PSN and Qriocity users can contact credit-monitoring agencies Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion for a free "fraud alert" that ensures credit agencies will take extra precautionary measures toward identity verification. The publisher notes that this fraud alert may impede the expediency of legitimate credit requests.

Luckily there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel, with Sony saying, "We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online and expect to restore some services within a week."

[UPDATE] Meanwhile, the PSN outage is beginning to draw attention from the highest levels of the US government. In a letter to Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO Jack Tretton, US Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) has called on Sony to offer full disclosure to PSN users if their information was compromised and to offer two years of free access to credit reporting services to check if their credit was adversely affected. "Affected individuals should also be provided with sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of identity theft," Blumenthal said.

#58 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

PSN data leak cost could top $24 billion - Report

Soon, the ongoing PlayStation Network outage will enter its eighth day. The past 24 hours of downtime have seen some dramatic developments, as yesterday Sony revealed that the "external intrusion" that prompted the crisis also resulted in PSN users' information being compromised. Since an estimated 77 million people have signed up for the service, the scope of the data leak is huge.

Even larger could be the cost from the potential information theft. In an article today, Forbes cites data-security research firm The Ponemon Institute as estimating the "cost of a data breach involving a malicious or criminal act" was, on average, $318 per compromised account. Given the most recent PSN population estimate, that formula puts the potential cost as being over $24 billion.

The 2009 Ponemon Institute study that determined the figure, available here, "takes into account a wide range of business costs, including expense outlays for detection, escalation, notification, and after the fact (ex-post) response. [Ponemon] also analyze[s] the economic impact of lost or diminished customer trust and confidence, measured by customer churn or turnover rates."

On the bright side, Sony did say that some PSN services should be restored within a week. Then, late yesterday, it offered some answers as to why it took so long for the company to announce that users' personal data may have been accessed by an outside party.

"There's a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers' data being compromised," said senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold in a statement on the PlayStation Blog.

He continued, "We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until [April 25] to understand the scope of the breach."

Sony also made a further attempt to answers PSN users' questions by posting an FAQ on the official PlayStation website. Though it often declines detailed comment, the FAQ answers a variety of questions, including steps to avoid phishing scams. It also said that Sony was "reviewing options" about potentially refunding customers due to the downtime, which could potentially add to the cost of the outage.

Meanwhile, Eurogamer reports that the British government is launching an inquiry into the PlayStation Network data breach. The site quotes the Information Commissioner's Office as saying, "We have recently been informed of an incident, which appears to involve Sony. We are contacting Sony and will be making further enquiries to establish the precise nature of the incident before deciding what action, if any, needs to be taken by this office."

The move comes one day after US Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) called on Sony to offer full disclosure to PSN users if their information was compromised. He also demanded the company offer two years of free access to credit reporting services to check if their credit was adversely affected, raising the prospect of still more expenses for the company.

• Guests

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

IGN's Jessica Chobot tweeted this, lol.

Posted Image

#60 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

View PostRichard, on 27 April 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

IGN's Jessica Chobot tweeted this, lol.

Posted Image

lmao, love it.

#61 Zcrux

Zcrux

Code-X Mid-Carder

• Code-X Member
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

Q: When will the PlayStation Network and Qriocity be back online?
A: Our employees have been working day and night to restore operations as quickly as possible, and we expect to have some services up and running within a week from yesterday. However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure.

Ouch.

#62 TheRisingShadow

TheRisingShadow

wut

• Code-X Member
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:53 PM

^So that means May 3rd at the latest. :/

Also LOL at the picture that was tweeted. xD

#63 Socom

Socom

• Code-X Legend
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

One of my favourite quotes:
"Better safe then Sony"

#64 Solid Snake

Solid Snake

I'm not a hero. Never have been, never will be.

• Code-X Member
  • 3,696 posts
  • Code-X History: Former Moderator

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

A lot of people know that I'm a Xbox hater, but after this whole situation I might use some money and buy a 360 and a 1 year Xbox Live card. I'm not as confident in Sony as I used to be if all of this can happen and who knows what Sony truly knows that we don't.

#65 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

PlayStation Network Down News: Sony Slams Rumor, Explains 'Hashing'
Credit: technology.gather.com

With the Sony PlayStation Network down, news of the PSN hacking said data thieves were trying to sell it back to the company. Not only did SOE deny this rumor, it explained encryption vs. "hashing."

On Monday, SOE released information that its MMO gaming division may have been part of the hacking of 24.6 million more PS3 and Qriocity accounts on the PSN.

While this is another layer of horrible news in the two-week-old network outage stemming from an "external intrusion," the veteran electronics company provided something positive.

Okay, if you're a gamer, and your private data is floating somewhere on the streets, "positive" news is a full reboot of the security system and compensation within reason.

Sony says it is providing compensation in the form of 30-days free membership for its subscription service for both PS3 and Qriocity members. But is that enough for its 77 million subscribers?

Although the PlayStation Network is down, Sony says rumors that hackers are trying to sell the stolen database back to it is false based on their investigation. Rumors surfaced days ago that data thieves were attempting sale of the sensitive data back to Sony for a sum of $100,000.

"To my knowledge there is no truth to this report of a list, or that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director Corporate Communications and Social Media.

Seybold also cleared up the air about whether the credit card numbers on file for its PSN are safe. To sum it up, although the numbers were not "encrypted," they contained a "cryptographic hash function."

With the PlayStation Network down, Sony will not contact you in any way inquiring about your personal information, Seybold said. If any such communications surfaces, chances are it's "phishers" and hackers.

Tomato or "tomotto?" In other words, the jargon is different, but the security is the same. To best sum it up, visit this link to understand the difference. Warning -- bring your thinking caps and an IT guy along; it's not for the faint of heart!

Now sit back and cross your fingers; reports say the network is returning in a "phased restoration" this week.

#66 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

Sony knew PSN 'had no firewall installed' - Expert

This morning, the US House of Representatives' Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade began hearings on the threat of data theft to American consumers. Among those invited to testify was Sony Corp. executive vice president Kaz Hirai on the recent PlayStation Network outage and data breach. Hirai declined, instead sending a detailed account of the cyberattack to Subcommittee chairwoman Mary Bono Mack (R-CA) in the form of a letter.

One person who did show up to testify was Dr. Gene Spafford of Purdue University, who is also head of the US Public Policy Council of the Association for Computing Machinery. According to Consumer Reports, the cybersecurity expert had some harsh words for Sony, saying that the company knew the PSN's defenses were outdated for months prior to the attack, which occurred from April 17 to 19.

Spafford testified security experts discovered discussions on forums that talked about how the PSN's security was lacking. He said that the threads revealed that the network was using old versions of the Apache Web server software, which "was unpatched and had no firewall installed." He also testified that two to three months before the attack, the vulnerability was reported "in an open forum monitored by Sony employees," but the company took no action.

"If Dr. Spafford's assessment is accurate, it's inexcusable that Sony not only ran obsolete software on servers containing confidential data, but also that the company continued to do so after this information was publicly disclosed," said Consumer Reports technology editor Jeff Fox.

As of press time, US Sony reps had not responded to requests for comments on Dr. Spafford's testimony. However, in its letter to Congress, the company outlined a number of measures it had taken to beef up security, including moving its servers to a new facility, adding additional firewalls, enhancing data encryption and protection, and increasing automated software monitoring. The company has also hired three outside data security firms to help with its ongoing investigation of the attack, which the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Department of Homeland Security are assisting in.

#67 TheRisingShadow

TheRisingShadow

wut

• Code-X Member
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

Wow. I'm getting really disappointed in Sony right now. And they really need to get the PSN up because I'm bored. :(

#68 Jittery Blanket

Jittery Blanket

• Code-X Member
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

Daamn, it's STILL down!?... Been like 2 weeks or something, must suck.

#69 Trademark

Trademark

Unashamed

• Code-X Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

Yeah it's still down lol it was supposed to be back up earlier this week.

Sony struggles to get PSN back up, says hack was "highly sophisticated
Credit: cbsnews.com

CBS/AP) WASHINGTON - As Sony continues to struggle to get its PlayStation Network up and running again, the company claims that the data breach that hit PSN was "very professional."

Sony said in a letter released by members of the House Commerce Committee Wednesday, that the incursion resulted from a "highly sophisticated criminal cyber-attack designed to steal personal and credit card information for illegal purposes."

Sony first disclosed the attack last week, saying the that credit card data, e-mail addresses and other personal information from 77 million user accounts may have been compromised.

On Monday, Sony said data from an another nearly 25 million online gaming accounts also may have been stolen from its Sony Online Entertainment service.

In the letter, the chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment America defended the company's handling of the breach, but gamers are not taking the outage lightly.

"I think what bothers me the most is it took Sony almost a week to tell us," blogger and gamer Jamila Rowser told CBS News' Crimesider. "We could have canceled credit cards and put fraud alerts on our cards days ago."

The company said it will grant players 30 days of additional time on their subscriptions, along with one day for each day the system is down.

from the looks of it it may not be back up for awhile Lol

#70 TheRisingShadow

TheRisingShadow

wut

• Code-X Member
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Instead of getting a PVR I'm getting an Xbox. This is bullshit.

#71 Dday141

Dday141

CDX's Milky Ol' Bear

• Code-X Member
  • 10,582 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Your going to spend an extra $500 because you can't wait another 3 days to play the same game you were playing for the past 8 months with your online buddies?

#72 TheRisingShadow

TheRisingShadow

wut

• Code-X Member
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

Not $500.

Xbox 360 Slim 250GB Used (From Amazon.com) - $235
Play-n-Charge kit thingy w/Battery pack - $20
MW2 - $25
CoD4 - $10
Xbox Live 12 Month (From Amazon.com) - $42 (Yes, 90% of the time it's discounted on Amazon)
Another 12 Month of XBL for my bro - $42

Total: $351

But I'll wait till Summer probably... and I have a bunch of shit in the garage to sell that could easily add up to like $300.

But I doubt it will be up in 3 days. I bet it will take another week.

#73 TheRisingShadow

TheRisingShadow

wut

• Code-X Member
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

3 Articles from the US PlayStation Blog, great news. :D

Important Step for Service Restoration

Sony Offering Free ‘AllClear ID Plus’ Identity Theft Protection in the United States through Debix, Inc.

A Letter from Howard Stringer

Things are looking could, my guesses are that it will be back Sunday, Monday, or Friday.

#74 TheRisingShadow

TheRisingShadow

wut

• Code-X Member
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

http://www.csmonitor...-soon-says-Sony

Sony has said that the PSN is in it's final stages of "internal testing" and will be back very soon, and by the end of this week.

My bet is Sunday. :)

#75 Ollie The Magic Bum

Ollie The Magic Bum

BALL DON'T LIE!

• Code-X Member
  • 4,091 posts
  • Gallery:View

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

View PostTheRisingShadow, on 26 April 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

I read somewhere that also other info such as Name, Birthdate, Address, etc were also taken. I also read that it might take ANOTHER WHOLE WEEK, for PSN to be back. If that's true, I'm buying a cheap 20GB Xbox if it's not back by Friday. What a way to ruin a whole Spring Break. <_<

I kinda miss my Xbox friends... besides the fact that they all thought they were the shit...

That's kinda sad if your whole spring break revolved around Playstation dude...